I calm down and I feel the presence of God in me. I ask for the grace of the Holy Spirit to open the word of God, I accept it and allow it to fulfill my mission in me, in order to become more and more what I am in Holy Trinity. Then I ask God for this prayer, in my own words, or with those that are here…
- Sanctuary of the Caravaca de la Cruz
- Catholic prayer for protection from enemies
- How to get FREE Lourdes water the quickest and the cheapest way!
- Good morning prayer – How to start the day properly!
- Catholic Church items used in Mass with pictures
- Jesus heals the blind Man – John 9:1-41 Summary and Meaning
- You should always do the House Blessing prayer with Holy Water
The kingdom of God is something most precious – and for us, at a price, we can pay. And then God pours out an abundant measure of grace. What awaits us is to be willing to sell everything – that is, to exchange familiar habits for new answers. Lord, with your fatherly eyes, I can recognize which “fish” is good and for which “fish” it is worth selling everything. Guide me please in this open and humble posture to look with your eyes and with confidence and courage, to take steps in the direction you show me, in the direction of the precious pearl.
2. Reading – Listening: The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl – bible verse – Matthew 13 44 52 meaning
The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl
44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.
The Parable of the Net
47 “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. 48 When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. 49 This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous 50 and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
51 “Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked.
“Yes,” they replied.
52 He said to them, “Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.”
- 14 Stations of the Cross explanation with pictures
- The Crucifixion of Jesus – Good Friday Message and Meaning
3. Thoughts on the Gospel – The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl – bible verse – Matthew 13 44 52 meaning
The man of the parable (Matt. 13:44) was overjoyed and sold all his possessions. Why? Because he found a treasure that was more precious than anything he had. But he did not have enough to buy the treasure. Luckily, he raised enough money to buy a field where the treasure was hidden. It is similar to God’s kingdom of righteousness, peace, and joy (Rom. 14:17). It is a valuable treasure. But it is given to us at a price we can afford! We cannot pay the full price for the life God gives us. But when we accept life, which is offered to us by God, we receive an incomprehensibly great treasure of the kingdom of God.
Why would a retailer sell everything for one pearl? No doubt because he thought it that was the most important thing to him. Discovering the kingdom of God is like searching for and finding a hidden treasure or a precious pearl.
When we discover the kingdom of God, we receive the greatest possible treasure – the Lord Himself. Selling everything we have,to acquire this priceless treasure, it could mean many things – our friends, our job, our “Lifestyle,” everything we dedicate most of our time to. The treasure is especially connected to our heart, a place of desires and longings, a place of will and focus. Where our heart and our longing and joy are in him, there is our treasure.
Just as a boat’s trawl catches all kinds of fish in the sea, so the Church acts as an instrument of God, to collect all who come. Just as the trawl does not separate or. it cannot distinguish, nor can the Church distinguishes between good and bad, useless and useful members. Even the Kingdom of God is open to all who will accept it and believe in it. But the time of separation will come at the time of judgment when the angels will separate the good and the bad and we will be in what we have chosen with our way of life. Our job is to be open to everyone who comes.
God will ultimately be good (to those who accept and follow Christ by living in his Spirit) and to the bad (to those who reject Christ) bestow the reward they deserve. God offers the treasure of His kingdom to all, who believe in Christ and live their lives with him.
When Jesus had finished telling the parables, he asked his disciples, “Have you understood all these things?” Jesus sets us up to the
same question. If we want to understand the importance of the parables for our daily lives, we ask the Holy Spirit, who is our guide and teacher to help us grow in our understanding of God’s word in the Bible.
There is a deep unity between the Old and New Testaments. They are both inspired by the same Spirit (2 Tim. 3:16). The Old Testament prepared the New and the New Testament fulfills the Old – both illuminate each other. New Testament is in the Old, which is revealed in the New. Because of this, Jesus explained to his disciples how he fulfilled what was promised and foretold in the Old Testament (Lk 24:27). Therefore, we read the Old Testament in the light of Christ’s salvation death and resurrection.
4. Meditation – thinking
About everything I have read and what has touched me, I am thinking now. I let my thoughts also touch my heart. Think:
- Only in the wisdom of God can we recognize the good and bad fish and thus choose the good ones that strengthen the Kingdom among us. If I look at the last days with Father’s eyes, what was good and what was bad in my mind? In a relationship?
- When in my life did something seem to not work, that I fell, that there was no way out, and the Lord turned it for good? I remember a few of them and thank the Lord for the grace of His gaze.
- What is so precious to me, for what would I sell everything? What is really valuable to me? Really really valuable?
5. Personal Prayer
In the next moments of silence, I talk about this with Jesus. I tell him what I think, what I feel, what I want. I ask him for the grace that I need for … (make your conversation with God).
6. Contemplation – Quiet moment with God
Now I let silence be in me. I am simply present in God, as He is quietly present in me. Perhaps from this silence, I hear God’s speech, which invites me perhaps in thanksgiving and worship or to open myself and accept him in my path life and work, maybe He gives me the courage to continue searching for…
When I walk into a personal relationship with God, he changes me, makes me more loving, and encourages me to the concrete action, which is….. (write down your insights for concrete action).
8. Prayer at the end
Good Father, thank you that you show me in every fall that I can see the fall (old) or what you, Lord, have made of this fall (new).
Thank you for giving me the courage and strength to face all that is and choose the good – your Love,
9. Review of my prayer meditation or reflection
This is my view on what was happening in me at the time, I spent praying. In my reflection, I can help myself with the following questions:
- How was I feeling when I started praying?
- What happened during the prayer?
- What feelings and thoughts could I detect in myself?
- How did I feel with the revelations, which I had during my prayer?
- What did I learn about myself, about God, about his attitude towards me and others and me to him and others?
- How did I finish my prayer?
- What did I receive for my everyday life?
- In the end, I can write the lessons, findings, and insights. I can write also, where I had problems, they may have great value in learning about my relationship and myself with God. They can also help to find a more appropriate way of prayer for me.
- Then I thank the Holy Trinity. If I pray with my family or in the community, friends, I can share with them what I felt in this prayer. With a prayer for one another, you can support yourself throughout the week.
Lectio Divina meditations are published and adapted with permission from the Jesuits home – ignacijevdom.si
Text from the Bible – New International Version (NIV)