Carmelite House of Prayer Oakville, California

Carmelite House of Prayer, Mount Carmel Drive, Oakville, Kalifornija, Združene države Amerike

Website of the Sanctuary

+1 707 944 2454

Every day: from 7.00 am to 7.30 pm

The Carmelite House of Prayer was originally a mansion built to be the home of a wealthy industrialist, David Doak and was later donated to the Discalced Carmelites in 1955.

Doak died in 1921, the same year the mansion was completed. A benefactor, Noel Sullivan, bought the mansion and 29 acres of surrounding property and donated it to the Discalced Carmelites in 1955.

It was used as a house of formation until 1981, when the facility was designated as a house of prayer and retreat center.

Carmelite House of Prayer Oakville, California

Retreats in the Carmelite House of Prayer

Carmelite House of Prayer is located in Northern California, in the Diocese of Santa Rosa. There are six priests and two brothers who live at the House of Prayer currently.

See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in North America.

See top 15 Catholic shrines around the world

Penance and prayer are themes of the community; members are typically orthodox, experienced, and pious.

The grounds are beautiful and serene, and the community tries to maintain the peace and quiet necessary for the cultivation of prayer.

Visitors are welcome, either for Mass and confession or for retreats and days of recollection.

Mass times

  • Weekdays: 8:00 p.m.
  • Saturdays: 8:00 p.m. (First Saturday of the Month Mass  at 11:00 a.m.)
  • Sundays: 9:00 a.m.

Retreats

Carmelite House of Prayer is located in Northern California, in the Diocese of Santa Rosa. There are six priests and two brothers who live at the House of Prayer currently. Penance and prayer are themes of the community; members are typically orthodox, experienced, and pious. The grounds are beautiful and serene, and the community tries to maintain the peace and quiet necessary for the cultivation of prayer. Visitors are welcome, either for Mass and confession or for retreats and days of recollection.

History of the Carmelite House of Prayer

The Carmelite House of Prayer was originally a mansion built to be the home of a wealthy industrialist, David Doak. Its landscaping was done by John McLaren, designer of the Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. Doak died in 1921, the same year the mansion was completed. A benefactor, Noel Sullivan, bought the mansion and 29 acres of surrounding property and donated it to the Discalced Carmelites in 1955. It was used as a house of formation until 1981, when the facility was designated as a house of prayer and retreat center.

Posted in North America and United States