Our Lady of Mount Carmel Basilica

Our Lady of Mt Carmel Church, 343 Via Mount Carmel Avenue, Youngstown, Ohio, Združene države Amerike

Website of the Sanctuary

330 743 4144

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church stands on a hill on Via Mount Carmel (formerly Summit Avenue) in Youngstown, Ohio. It is among the few remaining Italian ethnic parishes in the United States, and stands as a symbol of the Italo-American heritage.

An ongoing program of improvements continues to beautify the parish grounds and landscape.

In 2005, the duplex house that the parish uses for religious education classes was re-named and dedicated The John Paul II Center. The parish has a full time Director of Religious Education for the children, youth and adult education programs.

See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in North America

See top 15 Catholic shrines in the world

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Basilica

Our Lady of Mount Carmel Basilica continues to be a jewel in the center of Youngstown, and a tribute to the dedication of its people and energy and enthusiasm of its pastors. There are 1175 families from the area who live out their Catholic faith as members of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church.

Italian-American pioneers surrounded their pastor on this hill at the turn of the Twentieth Century with a sense of creative industry and positive ambition, to make their dreams a reality.

In 1908 Father Emmanuel Stabile arrived from the Diocese of Newark, New Jersey to conceive Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. Spirited by his flock, under the leadership of Luigi Adovasio and Frank Zarlenga, Father initiated the first excavation of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

While the church structure was taking form, the early parish community worshipped at Saint Columba Cathedral and Saints Cyril and Methodius Church. Later they moved to their own 79 foot long basement rising several feet from the ground and roofed for church use.

In these days, the parish was part of the Diocese of Cleveland, under the pastoral leadership of Bishops Ignatius Frederick Horstmann (1891-1908) and John Patrick Farrelly (1909-1921).

Since 1993, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish has held Perpetual Adoration. People from throughout the Mahoning valley come to the church to adore Jesus Christ, present in the Blessed Sacrament. Perpetual Adoration at Our Lady of Mount Carmel is a fountain of grace for the Church and the community, and a source of blessing for all those who come to spend quiet time in prayer. Please consider taking time out of your week to spend time with Jesus. Come and find rest in His loving presence.

Italian-American pioneers surrounded their pastor on this hill at the turn of the Twentieth Century with a sense of creative industry and positive ambition, to make their dreams a reality.

In 1908 Father Emmanuel Stabile arrived from the Diocese of Newark, New Jersey to conceive Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. Spirited by his flock, under the leadership of Luigi Adovasio and Frank Zarlenga, Father initiated the first excavation of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

While the church structure was taking form, the early parish community worshipped at Saint Columba Cathedral and Saints Cyril and Methodius Church. Later they moved to their own 79 foot long basement rising several feet from the ground and roofed for church use.

In these days, the parish was part of the Diocese of Cleveland, under the pastoral leadership of Bishops Ignatius Frederick Horstmann (1891-1908) and John Patrick Farrelly (1909-1921).

Posted in North America and United States