St Therese of the Child Jesus Basilica of Lisieux – See the body of St Therese of Lisieux, France

Basilica of Saint Thérèse, Avenue Jean XXIII, Lisieux, Francija

Website of the Sanctuary

+33 2 31 48 55 08

Every day: 09:00-19:00

Coming to Lisieux and having the best stay:

Hotels:

The most famous booke, that she wrote herself: Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St Therese of Lisieux

St Therese of the Child Jesus

In order to be also a missionary, Thérèse felt called to the Carmelite Convent to follow in the footsteps of her “Mother”, Saint Theresa of Avila, through the gift of her life and through prayer which goes beyond all boundaries.

Like her Spanish Mother, St Therese of the Child Jesus wished to give one thousand lives in order to save one soul. See other Catholic sites in France.

Every year, on the last weekend in September, a solemn procession carries the remains of Saint Thérèse through the town of Lisieux.

When she entered the Carmelite Convent, she declared:

“I have come to save souls and above all to pray for priests. To love Jesus and to make him loved” became more and more the goal of her entire life.”

Her desire to be a missionary further intensified as she lay on her bed and she looked forward to being an even greater missionary after her death :

“I do not intend to remain inactive in Heaven, my desire is to continue working for the Church and for souls. It is what I ask of God and I am certain he will grant it.” (LT 254)

St Therese of the Child Jesus basilica in Lisieux, France

Basilica of St Therese of the Child Jesus, Lisieux

The largest church built in France in the course of the 20th century, this enormous domed edifice stands out on the hillside above town.

The interiors, visited by hundreds of thousands of pilgrims every year, are dazzlingly ornate, decorated in neo-Byzantine style. There are sections on the saint’s life and on the Carmelite Order.

St Therese: Story of a soul of the Child Jesus was beatified in 1923 and canonized in 1925. It was decided to build a large basilica dedicated to her in the city where she lived and died.

The project was launched by the Bishop of Bayeux and Lisieux, Bishop Thomas-Paul-Henri Lemonnier, and received the full support of Pope Pius XI who had placed his pontificate under the sign of St Therese of the Child Jesus.

Construction started in 1929 and finished in 1954. The basilica is located on a hill at the edge of the city.

It was funded entirely by donations and special contributions from several countries from around the world, based on strong devotions to St Therese of the Child Jesus.

St Therese of the Child Jesus basilica in Lisieux, France

The basilica thus contains 18 minor altars offered by different nations to St Therese of the Child Jesus.

The basilica was blessed on 11 July 1937 by the papal legate Cardinal Pacelli (the future Pope Pius XII). Works stopped for some time due to the Second World War, but then resumed and the basilica was completed in 1954.

The basic structure, which was completed before the war, suffered little damage during the bombing, which destroyed two-thirds of Lisieux.

On 11 July 1951, the basilica was consecrated by Most Reverend, the Archbishop of Rouen Joseph-Marie Martin, with the Papal Legate, Maurice Cardinal Feltin. See Top 15 Catholic shrines around the world.

St Therese of the Child Jesus basilica in Lisieux, France

Les Buissonnets, Thérèse’s childhood home

The Martin family set up home in Les Buissonnets in November 1877, a house found for them by Uncle Isidore Guérin, a chemist in Lisieux. Thérèse lived there from the age of 4½ years until she entered Carmel at the age of 15.

Although Mr. Martin felt uprooted by this change of town, the same could not be said of Thérèse who felt “no sadness at leaving Alençon, children like change and I was pleased to come to Lisieux”.

The property is attractive and spacious. The ground floor has a dining room with oak panelling, a kitchen with a red-brick fireplace, a small office, and a cellar. On the first floor, there are two toilets and four bedrooms, with the ones at the rear opening out to the garden.

The second floor has a gazebo which the family’s father used for spending time alone and for reading, as well as three small attic rooms. Next to the house, there is a pavilion where water was pumped from the well.

The garden gate opens out to a small narrow street which Mr. Martin called the “Chemin du Paradis”.

Carmel museum and Chapel

The Carmel chapel contains the tomb of St Thérèse, Lisieux. She is represented there lying on her deathbed wearing the habit of the Carmelite order.

St Therese of the Child Jesus basilica in Lisieux, France

Pilgrims are offered a spiritual tour, combining modern means and numerous authentic objects, to enable them to rediscover and explore the message of St Thérèse, Lisieux. The Carmel Museum, open from 9 am to 6 pm, closed in January. Free admission.

In 1835, the Mother Superior of Pont-Audemer Carmel submitted the idea of establishing a monastery in Lisieux. She suggested that two candidates, the Gosselin sisters, devote their fortune to the Carmel foundation.

Thus, in March 1838, three novices and two professed sisters arrived in Lisieux.

When Mother Elisabeth of Saint Louis died four years later, Sister Geneviève of St Thérèse, Lisieux was in charge of the Priory almost continuously from 1842 to 1886. Thus, she is seen as being the true mother and founder of Lisieux Carmel.

About forty years were needed to build the monastery which presents a series of geometrical brick constructions. The conventual square comprises the chapel, the nun’s choir, and a cloister. In the wings of the cloister, there are about twenty cells and the main living quarters. At the rear, a small garden is lined with an attractive short alley of chestnut trees.

The Carmelite day follows an almost intangible rhythm: priority is given to prayer (about six and a half hours a day, two of which in silent prayer and four and a half in mass and choral service).

The five and a half hours of work a day is conducted alone in the cell or in the room reserved for this purpose. This involved manual work which left the spirit free to think about God. Community life also included two hours of recreation and meals taken in the refectory.

The missionary spirit found great motivation at Lisieux Carmel. In 1861, four nuns left to found the first Carmel in the Far East, in Saigon and, from there, other Carmelites traveled throughout Asia.

The Carmel today

In the side chapel, there is the shrine with the marble recumbent figure of St Thérèse, Lisieux dressed as a Carmelite. Below, some of her remains are held in a reliquary.

The Carmel known by Thérèse has undergone a series of changes. The most recent ones in 2008 have enabled the restoration of the chapel and the creation of a large visitors’ area. An exhibition of objects and films provide a better understanding of the life of Carmelites at the time of St Thérèse, Lisieux and today.

Every year, on the last weekend in September, a solemn procession carries the remains of Saint Thérèse through the town.

If you wish to come on pilgrimage, it is advisable to make contact with:
PELERINAGE SAINTE THERESE
Service Accueil
31 rue du Carmel – CS 62095
14102 LISIEUX CEDEX
FRANCE
Tel. : (00 33)(0)2 31 48 55 08
Fax : (00 33)(0)2 31 48 55 26
[email protected]

We can help you to get the most from your time in Lisieux.

Possibility of a guided pilgrimage in July and August – except August 15 

  • for those coming alone or with their family there is a pilgrimage following the footsteps of St Thérèse each day. It is directed by a pilgrimage hostess. Meet at 14.00 at the chalet in front of the Basilica for visits to sites associated with Thérèse : the Basilica, the Buissonnets, St Peter’s Cathedral, the Carmel Chapel, and museum.
  • Film on the life of St Thérèse
    • from Easter Monday to October 10 : in the cinema hall at the Basilica, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00.
    • from October 11 to Easter Sunday : at the Centre d’Accueil Pastoral International, in front of the Basilica.
  • Diorama Thérèse Martin – a wonderful journey for young and old which follows the life of St Thérèse using life-size wax models and lights :
    • on the site of the Basilica
    • from All Saints to Easter, open on weekends and holidays, from 14:00 to 17:00
    • from Easter to All Saints, every day from 11:00 to 13:00 and from 14:00 to 18:00
    • in January : closed
    • adults : 3 € – children : 1 € – groups : 2 €
  • Visit the dome
    • July and August : 14:00-17:30
  • Exhibitions/Displays
    • in the Basilica : The life of saint Thérèse
    • in the Crypt of the Basilica : The Carmel and Thérèse
    • in the Center across the Basilica : temporary exhibitions

Coming with a Group?
You could benefit from our help in organizing a program tailored to the needs of your group. In particular, you can ask for :

  • a reservation for a particular time and place for a celebration or service,
  • a reservation to see the film « The True Face of St Thérèse » or other films,
  • your group can be accompanied by one or more hostesses
    the availability of one of the chaplains for a talk,
    etc.

Carmel museum and Chapel

The Carmel chapel contains the tomb of St Thérèse, Lisieux. She is represented there lying on her deathbed wearing the habit of the Carmelite order. Pilgrims are offered a spiritual tour, combining modern means and numerous authentic objects, to enable them to rediscover and explore the message of St Thérèse, Lisieux. The Carmel Museum, open from 9 am to 6 pm, closed in January. Free admission.

In 1835, the Mother Superior of Pont-Audemer Carmel submitted the idea of establishing a monastery in Lisieux. She suggested that two candidates, the Gosselin sisters, devote their fortune to the Carmel foundation. Thus, in March 1838, three novices and two professed sisters arrived in Lisieux. When Mother Elisabeth of Saint Louis died four years later, Sister Geneviève of St Thérèse, Lisieux was in charge of the Priory almost continuously from 1842 to 1886. Thus, she is seen as being the true mother and founder of Lisieux Carmel. About forty years were needed to build the monastery which presents a series of geometrical brick constructions. The conventual square comprises the chapel, the nun’s choir, and a cloister. In the wings of the cloister, there are about twenty cells and the main living quarters. At the rear, a small garden is lined with an attractive short alley of chestnut trees.
The Carmelite day follows an almost intangible rhythm: priority is given to prayer (about six and a half hours a day, two of which in silent prayer and four and a half in mass and choral service). The five and a half hours of work a day is conducted alone in the cell or in the room reserved for this purpose. This involved manual work which left the spirit free to think about God. Community life also included two hours of recreation and meals taken in the refectory. The missionary spirit found great motivation at Lisieux Carmel. In 1861, four nuns left to found the first Carmel in the Far East, in Saigon and, from there, other Carmelites traveled throughout Asia.

The Carmel today
In the side chapel, there is the shrine with the marble recumbent figure of St Thérèse, Lisieux dressed as a Carmelite. Below, some of her remains are held in a reliquary. The Carmel known by Thérèse has undergone a series of changes. The most recent ones in 2008 have enabled the restoration of the chapel and the creation of a large visitors’ area. An exhibition of objects and films provide a better understanding of the life of Carmelites at the time of St Thérèse, Lisieux and today. Every year, on the last weekend in September, a solemn procession carries the remains of Saint Thérèse through the town.

St. Thérèse of the Infant Jesus

When she was 9 years old, Thérèse entrusted to the Carmel prioress her desire to become a Carmelite, the same as her sister Pauline. In 1888, at the age of 15, she entered Carmel and took the name of Thérèse of the Infant Jesus, in memory of Teresita de Jésus, the niece of Thérèse d’Avila, who entered the cloister at the age of 9 years. She took the veil in January 1889. During her nine years of religious life, Thérèse was assigned to a number of different duties: laundry, refectory, sacristy, painting workshop, pottery. She was in charge of writing poems, canticles, prayers and pious recreational activities.

In 1893, Pauline (Mother Agnès of Jesus) was appointed prioress of the community. Céline also entered Carmel, after taking care of Mr. Martin, who suffered from mental illness and paralysis, until his death. Thus, the four sisters: Pauline, Marie, Thérèse, and Céline were reunited. In 1895, Pauline asked Thérèse to write her childhood memoirs which she completed one year later. In 1897, while suffering from tuberculosis, she wrote about her spiritual life. She died on 30 September 1897. The local newspaper announced almost anonymously: the “death of Marie-Françoise-Thérèse Martin, 24 years 9 months, a nun at Carmel, rue de Livarot”. Since the publication of her memoirs, Thérèse has been known and loved throughout the world and people come from far and wide to pay tribute to her at Lisieux.

Posted in Europe, France and Top Shrines

One Review

  1. rocky giammichele
    rocky giammichele

    God bless , Saint Therese, a Matrine, virgin and mother in the wisdom of God, for wisdom is first of created things, intelligent purpose from the beginning, only wisdom is acceptable to God, thus we asTtherese are preserved by wisdom, amen. Thank you for this opportunity, we thank God for all graces, amen.

    October 22, 2017 at Reply

Add a Review

Rate this by clicking a star below:

Related Listings

basilica of san domenico bologna

The Tomb and the Basilica of San Domenico in Bolonga

+39 051 6400411

Basilica di San Domenico, Piazza San Domenico, Bologna, Italija

Weekdays. from 9.00 am - 12.00 pm and 3.30 pm - 6.00 pm

Basilica of San Domenico Basilica of San Domenico is one of the richest churches in Bologna in terms of history and art. San Domenico from Guzman, the Spanish founder of the Order of Preachers (also known as the Dominican Order or the Dominicans), arrived in Bologna around 1200 and took possession of the area where now his church may be found.Continue Reading

San Pietro in Ciel d Oro

Basilica di San Pietro in Ciel d Oro and the Tomb of St Augustine of Hippo

Basilica di San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro, Piazza San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro, Pavia, Italija

Every day 7.15 - 19.00

The Basilica di San Pietro in Ciel d Oro The relics of St. Augustine are displayed only in august, from 24 to 28, and in april, in the days around the baptism of St. Augustine, on 24 april. The earliest news that we have of this San Pietro in Ciel d Oro dates to the year 604 AD. The building is not the original one.Continue Reading

Velehrad St Cyril and Methodius

Velehrad Basilica of the Assumption and St Cyril and Methodius

+42 572 420 140

Basilica of Assumption of Mary and Saint Cyrillus and Methodius, Nádvoří, Velehrad, Češka republika

Welcome to the Roman Catholic parish and place of pilgrimage which is located between the foothills of Chřiby 7 km from the Hungarian settlement in a picturesque part of Slovakia. It is an important spiritual center, the site of numerous religious pilgrimages, gatherings, and celebrations.Continue Reading

Hill of Crosses

Hill of Crosses Lithuania

Hill of Crosses, Šiauliai, Litva

Every day: 24 hours

Religious meaning of the Hill of Crosses Lithuania The Hill of Crosses, where people not only from Lithuania have put crosses for couple centuries, witnesses faithfulness and trust of a Christian community to Christ and his Cross. This is an expression of a spontaneous religiousness of the people, and is a symbol not of grief and death but of Faith, Love and Sacrifice.Continue Reading

st ignatius of loyola sanctuary

The Sanctuary and the birthplace of St Ignatius of Loyola

+ 34 943 025 000

Santuario de Loiola, Loiola, Španija

Visits Every day of the year September - May 10 am-1 pm 3:30 pm - 7 pm June - September 10 am -1:30 pm 3:30 pm - 7.30 pm [last entry 45 minutes before closing]

Situated in the Urola valley, the sanctuary is built around the tower house of the Loyola family. The building dates from the 14th and 15th centuries and is divided into the lower half built in stone, which recalls its past as a fortress, and the upper half built in brick that represents its evolution into a palatial house.Continue Reading

Santo Toribio de Liebana

The Lignum Crucis of Santo Toribio de Liebana – the largest known piece of the True Cross of Jesus Christ

+34 942 730 550

Monasterio de Santo Toribio de Liébana, Camaleño, Španija

Every day: 10.00 to 13.00 and 16.00 to 19.00

The Monastery of Santo Toribio de Liebana In the heart of the area of Liébana, about 2 kms southbound from the main town called Potes and half-hidden among the orographical folds of La Viorna Mountain, at the foothills of The Picos de Europa (range of mountains), is the place where Toribio (530-540) and some Benedictine monks chose to build thier home and seclude themselves from the world at the beginning of the Christian Era.Continue Reading