Manaoag Church and Our Lady of Manaoag

Shrine of Our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag, Manaoag, Filipini

Website of the Sanctuary

075 529 0132

Every day: from 5.00 am to 7.00 pm

Our Lady of Manaoag 

Folk tradition has it that the Blessed Mother showed herself to a middle aged farmer and gave him the message on where she wanted her church to be located, She showed herself on a low tree amidst the glow of heavenly light. Manaoag is known more as a pilgrimage town than anything else.

It is sometimes called the pilgrim center of the North. Every Saturday and Sunday, thousands at people converge on this town to attend Mass, pray the Rosary, offer flowers and light candles. The center at devotion is the Lady of the Holy Rosary, otherwise known as Nuestra Senora de Manaoag or plainly called Apa Baket.

The ivory image of our Lady of the Rosary of Manaoag Shrine which is enshrined in the high altar of the Church is several centuries old and is said to possess miraculous powers. Pilgrimages reach their peak during Lenten and Easter seasons, during the months at May and October during the feast of the Holy Rosary.

Manaoag Church open hours

  • Every day: from 5.00 am to 7.00 pm

Manaoag Church mass schedule

  • Daily: Every hour from 5.00 AM to 11.00 AM & 5.00 PM
  • Saturday: Every hour from 5.00 AM to 12.00 AM & 4.30 PM
  • Sunday: Every hour from 5.00 AM to 12.00 AM & 3.00 PM to 5.00 PM

See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in Asia

See top 15 Catholic shrines in the world.

See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in Philippines

History

The first Dominican priest to work in Manaoag mission was Fr. Juan de San Jocinto, O.P. who was the curate of Mangaldan. It was not until 1608 that Mangaldan mission was formaily accepted by the provincial chapter of the Dominican order. In 1610,, Fr. Tomas Jimenez, O.P. took over the mission as the first resident priest Due to the numerous threats from Igorat raids from the nearby mountains, the community was transferred to the present site on a hill. A large church was commenced in 1701 under the sponsorship of Gaspar de Gamboa and his wile Agata Yangta, wealthy residents fromm Manila who transferred to Lingayen.

An expansion oi the church began in 1882, was frustrated by the earthquake in 1892, and the whole church with its treasures was destroyed by the fire lighted by the revolutionaries in May 1898. The miraculous Image of the Virgin of Manaoag was narrowly missed destruction; it was found abandoned behind the church, and from June to October had to be kept in Dagupan for safety. Invited by Fr. Mariano Pacis, a diocesan parish priest of Manaoag, the Dominicans returned in 1901, Under the aegis of the Order, the church began in 1882 was finally completed to a large extent in the years 1911-1912; the central retablo (altar of the Virgin) was completed by the famed Tampinco studio in Manila. The transept (the arms of the church) was completed in 1931-1932.

The Dominicans ceded all their Pangasinan missions to the mitre ( it. to the diocesan clergy), with the exception of Manaoag. Spiritual administration at the Shrine in perpetuity was given to the Dominican Order by the Holy See in 1925.

The image was canonically crowned in 1926. It means that the Church through the Holy See officially recognized and proclaimed that the Lady of the Rosary at Manaoag had granted favors and blessings through her devotees through the centuries. The old convent now houses the Our Lady of Manaoag College, formerly Holy Rosary Academy founded in T946 by Fr. Teodulo Cajigal, O.P., the last Spanish Dominican in Manaoag. Since December 8, 1972, the Shrine at Our Lady of the Rosary Manaoag has been under the care of the Philippine Dominican Province.

Before the Dominicans arrived, the Augustinian missionaries put a the Visita at Santa Monica, [the former name at Manaoag), which they visited from Lingayen. As early as I600 the Augustinians had put a modest chapel where the cemetery is now located. it was turned over to the Dominicans in 1605 and was sewed from Mongaldan.

The image was canonically crowned in 1926. It means that the Church through the Holy See officially recognized and proclaimed that the Lady of the Rosary at Manaoag had granted favors and blessings through her devotees through the centuries. The old convent now houses the Our Lady of Manaoag College, formerly Holy Rosary Academy founded in T946 by Fr. Teodulo Cajigal, O.P., the last Spanish Dominican in Manaoag. Since December 8, 1972, the Shrine at Our Lady of the Rosary Manaoag has been under the care of the Philippine Dominican Province.

Altar of Our Lady of Manaoag Shrine

The Altar of the Blessed Virgin has been renovated with a one-piece glass, additional woodcarvings, elevated pedestal and four golden candelabras. This has been done to fit and proportion the size of our Lady’s image with that of the glass.

The glass and frame were newly integrated in order that the pilgrims may see the full beauty of Our Lady without any bars obstructing their view. The Lady also has a beautiful blue background reflecting her queenship, A special Dominican logo has been placed as a sign of the Order’: devotion to her.

 

How to get to Manaoag in Pangasinan:
Go to bus companies like Victory Liner (Dagupan Destination), Five Star, or Dagupan Bus Line and ask them to drop you at Manaoag Church. The trip takes about 4 hours. If you’re coming from Baguio, Manaoag is about 2 hours.

  • Daily: Every hour from 5.00 AM to 11.00 AM & 5.00 PM
  • Saturday: Every hour from 5.00 AM to 12.00 AM & 4.30 PM
  • Sunday: Every hour from 5.00 AM to 12.00 AM & 3.00 PM to 5.00 PM

Altar of the Blessed Virgin

The Altar of the Blessed Virgin has been renovated with a one-piece glass, additional woodcarvings, elevated pedestal and four golden candelabras. This has been done to fit and proportion the size of our Lady’s image with that of the glass. The glass and frame were newly integrated in order that the pilgrims may see the full beauty of Our Lady without any bars obstructing their view. The Lady also has a beautiful blue background reflecting her queenship, A special Dominican logo hasbeen placed as a sign of the Order’: devotion to her.

The bas-reliel beneath the throne of the Virgin depicts the historic events in the devotion to Our Lady. The narra carvings that beautifully express this have been refurbished.

History

The first Dominican priest to work in Manaoag mission was Fr. Juan de San Jocinto, O.P. who was the curate of Mangaldan. It was not until 1608 that Mangaldan mission was formaily accepted by the provincial chapter of the Dominican order. In 1610,, Fr. Tomas Jimenez, O.P. took over the mission as the first resident priest Due to the numerous threats from Igorat raids from the nearby mountains, the community was transferred to the present site on a hill. A large church was commenced in 1701 under the sponsorship of Gaspar de Gamboa and his wile Agata Yangta, wealthy residents fromm Manila who transferred to Lingayen.

An expansion oi the church began in 1882, was frustrated by the earthquake in 1892, and the whole church with its treasures was destroyed by the fire lighted by the revolutionaries in May 1898. The miraculous Image of the Virgin of Manaoag was narrowly missed destruction; it was found abandoned behind the church, and from June to October had to be kept in Dagupan for safety. Invited by Fr. Mariano Pacis, a diocesan parish priest of Manaoag, the Dominicans returned in 1901, Under the aegis of the Order, the church began in 1882 was finally completed to a large extent in the years 1911-1912; the central retablo (altar of the Virgin) was completed by the famed Tampinco studio in Manila. The transept (the arms of the church) was completed in 1931-1932.

The Dominicans ceded all their Pangasinan missions to the mitre ( it. to the diocesan clergy), with the exception of Manaoag. Spiritual administration at the Shrine in perpetuity was given to the Dominican Order by the Holy See in 1925.

The image was canonically crowned in 1926. It means that the Church through the Holy See officially recognized and proclaimed that the Lady of the Rosary at Manaoag had granted favors and blessings through her devotees through the centuries. The old convent now houses the Our Lady of Manaoag College, formerly Holy Rosary Academy founded in T946 by Fr. Teodulo Cajigal, O.P., the last Spanish Dominican in Manaoag. Since December 8, 1972, the Shrine at Our Lady of the Rosary Manaoag has been under the care of the Philippine Dominican Province.

Posted in Asia & Oceania and Philippines