National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation

Our Lady of Consolation, 315 Clay St, Carey, Ohio, Združene države Amerike

Website of the Sanctuary

+1 419 396 7107

Every day: from 7.00 am to 8.00 pm

Our Lady of Consolation Shrine History

The Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation is a place of great peace where pilgrims can pray and pay homage to the Blessed Mother. Across the street from the Basilica stands the original Shrine Church. Construction on this, the first church in Carey, began in 1868 under the direction of Father Edward Vattman, pastor of St. Michael’s in Findlay, Ohio. See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in North America

Once the church building was completed enough for its dedication, it was given the name of St. Edward. Care of the little church was given to Father Joseph Peter Gloden, pastor of the church of St. Nicholas, Frenchtown. Father Joseph encouraged the faithful in Carey to complete the construction and asked them to direct their prayers to Mary, the Mother of God, under the title of Our Lady of Consolation, the patroness of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. See top 15 Catholic shrines in the world

Father Joseph and the congregation promised to re-name the church in honor of Our Lady of Consolation upon its completion. As a means to support their devotion, Father Joseph procured a replica of the statue of Our Lady of Consolation which has always been revered in the Cathedral of Luxembourg.

This memorable church, the place of so many favors granted through Mary, remains today not only as a relic of the past, but as a place of prayer and worship.

The Confraternity of Our Lady of Consolation

The Confraternity of Our Lady of Consolation is a spiritual association established for all who are devoted to Our Blessed Mother, in particular for those who come to the Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation. Established in the year 1878 by Pope Leo XIII, all of the members share in the prayers and good works of all the members wherever they may be.

In order to be a member of the Confraternity, members are expected to live their lives according to the promises made at their baptism and to be received here at the Shrine by a priest or a deacon. Further, they are asked to register their names in the Book of the Confraternity retained at the Shrine.

Enrollment in the Confraternity of Our Lady of Consolation is conducted during pilgrimage devotions celebrated at the Shrine every Sunday of the year (except Easter) at 2:30 pm. The Confraternity of Our Lady of Consolation is one more grace-filled gift available at the Shrine for all of Mary’s devoted children.

The Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation in Carey, Ohio, is conveniently located between Cleveland, Columbus, Detroit and Toledo, and is easily accessible by major highways.

From Interstate 75 (north and south): take exit #156 near Findlay. Follow Rte. 15 east to Carey.
From Cleveland: take Interstate 71 south to Rte. 224 west to Rte. 23 south to Carey.
From Columbus: take Rte. 23 north to Carey.

Easter through Oct. 31

  • Sunday 8 AM, 10 AM, 12 PM
  • Saturday 7 AM, 11 AM & 5:30 PM

Nov. 1 through Palm Sunday

  • Sunday 9 AM & 11 AM
  • Saturday 7 AM, 11 AM & 5:30 PM

Weekday: 7 AM & 11 AM

Devotions every Sunday, 2:30 PM

A Holy place of Mary’s favours

Since 1875, countless pilgrims have journeyed to the Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation in Carey, Ohio to offer prayers of thanks Maryand to confide their needs to the Mother of God as Mary, Consoler of the Afflicted.

Devotion to Mary under this title dates back to the second century and is among her earliest titles of honor. In the 17th century, as plague ravaged the population of Luxembourg, the people formed a special union with Mary, Consoler of the Afflicted.

An image of her was enshrined in a small chapel built on the outskirts of town and many favors were authenticated among visiting pilgrims. In 1652, the Pope fostered devotion to Our Lady under this title by establishing a confraternity. The devotion spread to the United States, and the first shrine to Our Lady of Consolation was built in Carey, Ohio. A replica statue was commissioned and arrived from Luxembourg in 1875.

Since 1875, Mary, the Mother of God, has manifested herself as a most loving Mother to the thousands of the devoted pilgrims at this shrine. Through her prayers, the sick and afflicted have found health, comfort and consolation. Our Lady of Consolation offers a number of special events and heritage days throughout the year. All are welcome at anytime on their journey to faith, hope and healing.

 

The conventual Franciscan friars of the province of Our Lady of consolation

In 1911, Bishop Schrembs of Ohio requested Franciscan Friar, Father Aloys Fish, to investigate more closely the devotion of the faithful visiting the Shrine. Father Aloys wrote to the Bishop describing his experiences at the Shrine as “overwhelming!” The next year, Bishop Schrembs invited the Franciscan Friars to move permanently to Carey.

To this day, the Conventual Franciscan Friars are present at the Shrine and serve in several surrounding parishes, ministering to the needs of the faithful. We continue to care for the countless pilgrims who visit the Shrine. We welcome your visit to the Basilica and National Shrine and invite you to participate in our prayers and good works.

Our Lady of Consolation Shrine History

The Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation is a place of great peace where pilgrims can pray and pay homage to the Blessed Mother. Across the street from the Basilica stands the original Shrine Church. Construction on this, the first church in Carey, began in 1868 under the direction of Father Edward Vattman, pastor of St. Michael’s in Findlay, Ohio.The Basilica and National Shrine of Our Lady of Consolation

Once the church building was completed enough for its dedication, it was given the name of St. Edward. Care of the little church was given to Father Joseph Peter Gloden, pastor of the church of St. Nicholas, Frenchtown. Father Joseph encouraged the faithful in Carey to complete the construction and asked them to direct their prayers to Mary, the Mother of God, under the title of Our Lady of Consolation, the patroness of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.

Father Joseph and the congregation promised to re-name the church in honor of Our Lady of Consolation upon its completion. As a means to support their devotion, Father Joseph procured a replica of the statue of Our Lady of Consolation which has always been revered in the Cathedral of Luxembourg.

On May 24, 1875, the statue of Our Lady of Consolation was carried in procession from the church of St. Nicholas to the church in Carey. It was during this procession that the first sign of the special intercession of the Blessed Virgin for all who were to pray in this little church was revealed. As the procession marched, a severe storm raged in the entire area. Though the faithful could see the rain pouring down on all sides of them for the entire seven-mile walk, not a drop touched the statue of Our Lady of Consolation nor anyone in the procession.

This memorable church, the place of so many favors granted through Mary, remains today not only as a relic of the past, but as a place of prayer and worship. Members of Our Lady of Consolation parish gather there for early morning Mass, and many groups celebrate the goodness of God with special programs and devotions within its walls.

Posted in North America and United States