San Secondo d’Asti Catholic Church

San Secondo d'Asti Catholic Church, North Turner Avenue, Ontario, Kalifornija, Združene države Amerike

Website of the Sanctuary

+1 909 390 0011

Every day: from 6.00 am to 8.00 pm

San Secondo d’Asti Catholic Church in Guasti, CA, is a church rich in heritage and tradition. The church is built in the California mission style, has a bell tower, and is surrounded by rose gardens with fountains.

San Secondo d’Asti church

This is a traditional and beautiful parish in the Diocese of San Bernardino.

It was built by an Italian immigrant, Secondo Guasti, who oversaw vineyards in the region. He built the church in 1926 to resemble the 17th-century wood-and-stone structure in his village in Asti, Italy. He donated it to the local diocese in 1935.

See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in North America.

See top 15 Catholic shrines around the world

The church is built in the California mission style, has a bell tower, and is surrounded by rose gardens with fountains. The church is attractive inside and out, and is served by a faithful pastor, Father Louis Marx.

San Secondo d’Asti Catholic Church

Inside the Church

The focal point of the church is the tabernacle, where the Eucharistic Lord is present (body, blood, soul, and divinity). Here “Emmanuel” “(God is with us”) dwells (“pitches His tent”—John 1:14) among us.

The tabernacle of the ancient Hebrews was indeed a tent, as a tabernacle veil indicating the divine presence may emphatically remind us. Recognizing His continual presence, the Church offers her Lord the homage of a continually burning sanctuary lamp.

That in San Secondo is a hanging lamp of Mediterranean style. But as well, Jesus Christ Himself, the light of the world, is the central flame of the seven-branched lamp (Hebrew “menorah”) in Christian worship.

This is presented to the human eye by the tabernacle and crucifix in the center of six altar candles.

San Secondo d’Asti Catholic Church

Sacred Heart Statue

The main figures o the sanctuary are Our Lord with His Sacred Heart on the south and Our Lady crowned with twelve stars on the north. Our Lord’s image teaches of His Incarnation.

The tri-radiant nimbus behind His head (used only for the deity) expresses His divinity, while the heart of flesh shows His sacred humanity (as well as His love for mankind). As true God and true man, Jesus Christ raises His hand in blessing.

San Secondo d’Asti Catholic Church

Our Lady

The statue crowned with twelve stars represents Our Lady as Queen of heaven and earth. Her downcast eyes show her humility, and suggest her loving attention to the Church (of which she is the purest image).

Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary is also shown in this church by the copy of the miraculous image of Guadalupe on the south wall near the priest’s chair. Our Lady of Guadalupe is Queen of the Americas and of Mexico in particular.

Several figures of the Blessed Mother may be found outside, as well, in San Secondo d’Asti’s gardens. Inside again, north of the ambo, is a portrait of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

Inside the Church

The focal point of the church is the tabernacle, where the Eucharistic Lord is present (body, blood, soul, and divinity). Here “Emmanuel” “(God is with us”) dwells (“pitches His tent”—John 1:14) among us. The tabernacle of the ancient Hebrews was indeed a tent, as a tabernacle veil indicating the divine presence may emphatically remind us. Recognizing His continual presence, the Church offers her Lord the homage of a continually burning sanctuary lamp.

That in San Secondo is a hanging lamp of Mediterranean style. But as well, Jesus Christ Himself, the light of the world, is the central flame of the seven-branched lamp (Hebrew “menorah”) in Christian worship. This is presented to the human eye by the tabernacle and crucifix in the center of six altar candles.

Sacred Heart Statue
The main figures o the sanctuary are Our Lord with His Sacred Heart on the south and Our Lady crowned with twelve stars on the north. Our Lord’s image teaches of His Incarnation. The tri-radiant nimbus behind His head (used only for the deity) expresses His divinity, while the heart of flesh shows His sacred humanity (as well as His love for mankind). As true God and true man, Jesus Christ raises His hand in blessing.

Our Lady
The statue crowned with twelve stars represents Our Lady as Queen of heaven and earth. Her downcast eyes show her humility, and suggest her loving attention to the Church (of which she is the purest image). Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary is also shown in this church by the copy of the miraculous image of Guadalupe on the south wall near the priest’s chair. Our Lady of Guadalupe is Queen of the Americas and of Mexico in particular. Several figures of the Blessed Mother may be found outside, as well, in San Secondo d’Asti’s gardens. Inside again, north of the ambo, is a portrait of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

History

San Secondo d’Asti Catholic Church in Guasti, CA, is a church rich in heritage and tradition. Established by the late Mr. Secondo Guasti, founder of the community of Guasti and builder of the San Secondo d’Asti church.

In 1900, Secondo Guasti, an Italian immigrant moved to California and pioneered grape growing in the semi-desert of what is now Rancho Cucamonga. He convinced a group of fellow Italian-Americans to invest in the Italian Vineyard Company, IVC. He bought 1,500 acres of land with $16,000 and planted a hundred varieties of grapes. The vines grew and the company prospered.

By 1917, IVC was the world’s largest vineyard, seasonally producing 5,000,000 gallons of wine. The property extended as far as the eye could see with 5,000 acres of grapevines spread along twenty-two miles of narrow gauge railroad. A complete company town named “Guasti” was built including a school, firehouse, post office and a charming country church.

Mr. and Mrs. Secondo Guasti built this church to resemble the 17th century structure from his village in Asti, Italy. In 1924, the Guasti family brought woodworkers and stonemasons from Mexico and Italy to build the church. It was completed in 1926 and dedicated on October 3, 1926, by Bishop John J. Cantwell of Los Angeles.

In 1935 the Guasti family, through the Italian Vineyard Company, donated the church to the Diocese of Los Angeles and San Diego. Since 1978, it has been in the Diocese of San Bernardino.

Posted in North America and United States