The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph with Odell Organ and 39 Stained Glass Windows

Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph, 80 S Market St, San Jose, Kalifornija, Združene države Amerike

Website of the Sanctuary

+1 408 283 8100

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph is a large Roman Catholic church located in Downtown San Jose. The minor basilica is the cathedral for the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Jose in California. The basilica is named for Saint Joseph, patron saint of the universal church.

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph and 39 Stained Glass Windows

There are a total of 39 stained glass windows throughout the Cathedral. The most visible, are the 21 that surround the transept walls.

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph with Odell Organ and 39 Stained Glass Windows

See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in North America.

See top 15 Catholic shrines around the world

The 3 windows in the east wall of the east transept are new (installed in 1990). The 18 primary windows vary in dates of installation from the late 1800s up to 1920.

The oldest window is that of St. Aloysius and it was made in Italy. The second oldest honors St. Claude de la Colombiere also made in Italy.

The remaining 16 were created in Munich of fine mouth-blown Bavarian glass made by a formula that dates to the 11th century and are essentially “fade proof”.

Unfortunately, this art form is no longer practiced. Judge Myles P. O’Connor and his wife, Amanda, commissioned these windows while visiting in Bavaria.

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph with Odell Organ and 39 Stained Glass Windows

Odell Organ

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph’s Odell Tracker pipe organ was built in 1886 by The J.H. & C.S. Odell Co. in Yonkers, New York, is one of only four Odells of this style in the United States and the ONLY surviving Odell instrument in its original condition on the West Coast.

Discover some fascination information about the Cathedral’s Odell Tracker pipe organ:

  • Designed specifically for this church
  • Measures 22 ft. high by 18 ft. wide by 10 ft. deep
  • Contains 40,000 wooden parts
  • Consists of 27 ranks of 60 pipes (equal to 1,620 individual musical instruments), 21 stops distributed over two keyboard divisions and a pedal division.
  • Stops at swell division are under expression.
  • Completely restored from 1987-1991 by Edward Stout and his assistant, Richard Taylor, curators of this instrument since 1968. Mr. Stout did some repairs on the organ during the 1964 church restoration project. Dr. Philip Simpson, professor of music at San Jose State University supervised the organ’s care from the 1950s to 1964.

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph with Odell Organ and 39 Stained Glass Windows

History of the Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph

1803
In 1803, the first pueblo church was constructed on site. It was constructed of adobe and wood and was named in honor of Saint Joseph, the patron saint of the pueblo.

Earthquakes and fires destroyed three church buildings. A temporary building one block west of here was used for church functions for about two years.

1876

On the feast day of Saint Joseph, March 19, 1876, the cornerstone for the fifth and present Saint Joseph church building was laid.

It was opened and dedicated on April 22, 1877, the two-year anniversary of the fire that destroyed the previous church on this site. From 1925 to 1927, a major art enhancement program took place.

This project included all of the ceiling paintings, wall decorations, and installation of stained glass windows over the entrance doors.

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph with Odell Organ and 39 Stained Glass Windows

1981

In 1981, the Vatican divided the Archdiocese of San Francisco, establishing the Diocese of San Jose.

A diocese is a territorial area containing churches and people under the care and leadership of a bishop. (See Addendum: The Diocese of San Jose)

1985

In 1985, the Vatican approved this church building as the Cathedral of the new diocese—pending its full restoration. Major restoration began in March of 1987 and lasted to the end of October 1990.

Saint Joseph’s was dedicated as the Cathedral of Saint Joseph on November, 4, 1990, with Bishop Pierre DuMaine presiding. Saint Joseph’s is listed in both state and federal registers as an historic landmark.

The Franciscans administered the parish for 48 years, from 1803 to 1851; the Jesuits for 141 years, from 1851 to 1992. Diocesan priests currently administer the Cathedral parish.

1997

In 1997, Saint Joseph’s Cathedral received basilica status from the Vatican and is now called Cathedral Basilica of Saint Joseph. Basilica is a title of honor given to a church in recognition of its history, artistic beauty, and service to its community.

Let us remain close in the same prayer! May the Lord bless you abundantly!

39 Stained Glass Windows

There are a total of 39 stained glass windows throughout the Cathedral. The most visible, are the 21 that surround the transept walls.

The 3 windows in the east wall of the east transept are new (installed in 1990). The 18 primary windows vary in dates of installation from the late 1800s up to 1920.

The oldest window is that of St. Aloysius and it was made in Italy.
The second oldest honors St. Claude de la Colombiere also made in Italy.

The remaining 16 were created in Munich of fine mouth-blown Bavarian glass made by a formula that dates to the 11th century and are essentially “fade proof”. Unfortunately, this art form is no longer practiced. Judge Myles P. O’Connor and his wife, Amanda, commissioned these windows while visiting in Bavaria.

Let us remain close in the same prayer! May the Lord bless you abundantly!

Odell Organ

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph’s Odell Tracker pipe organ was built in 1886 by The J.H. & C.S. Odell Co. in Yonkers, New York, is one of only four Odells of this style in the United States and the ONLY surviving Odell instrument in its original condition on the West Coast.

Discover some fascination information about the Cathedral’s Odell Tracker pipe organ:

  • Designed specifically for this church
  • Measures 22 ft. high by 18 ft. wide by 10 ft. deep
  • Contains 40,000 wooden parts
  • Consists of 27 ranks of 60 pipes (equal to 1,620 individual musical instruments), 21 stops distributed over two keyboard divisions and a pedal division.
  • Stops at swell division are under expression.
  • Completely restored from 1987-1991 by Edward Stout and his assistant, Richard Taylor, curators of this instrument since 1968. Mr. Stout did some repairs on the organ during the 1964 church restoration project. Dr. Philip Simpson, professor of music at San Jose State University supervised the organ’s care from the 1950s to 1964.

Frieze

Designed and executed by Fr. Sciocchetti. Oil paint on plaster. Letters are 20 inches in height. Part of the wall decoration and honors Saint Joseph. Translation Starting from the northwest transept wall, the inscription translated from Latin is as follows:

An angel of the Lord appeared in sleep to Joseph. Mathew 2:13
Fear not, take unto Mary they wife. Joseph rising from sleep did as the angel of the Lord demanded of him and took unto him his wife. Mathew 2:14

It will come to pass that Herod will seek the child to destroy Him: He [Joseph] arose and took the child and His mother into Egypt. Mathew 2:15

His mother said to Him, behold, Thy father and I have sought Thee sorrowing. He went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was subject to them. Luke 2:41-52
And Jesus was thought to be the son of Joseph. Luke 3:23

Let us remain close in the same prayer! May the Lord bless you abundantly!

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph is a large Roman Catholic church located in Downtown San Jose. The minor basilica is the cathedral for the Roman Catholic Diocese of San Jose in California. The basilica is named for Saint Joseph, patron saint of the universal church.

Let us remain close in the same prayer! May the Lord bless you abundantly!

The Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph

History of the Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph

1803
In 1803, the first pueblo church was constructed on site. It was constructed of adobe and wood and was named in honor of Saint Joseph, the patron saint of the pueblo. Earthquakes and fires destroyed three church buildings. A temporary building one block west of here was used for church functions for about two years.

1876

On the feast day of Saint Joseph, March 19, 1876, the cornerstone for the fifth and present Saint Joseph church building was laid. It was opened and dedicated on April 22, 1877, the two-year anniversary of the fire that destroyed the previous church on this site. From 1925 to 1927, a major art enhancement program took place. This project included all of the ceiling paintings, wall decorations, and installation of stained glass windows over the entrance doors.

1981

In 1981, the Vatican divided the Archdiocese of San Francisco, establishing the Diocese of San Jose. A diocese is a territorial area containing churches and people under the care and leadership of a bishop. (See Addendum: The Diocese of San Jose)

1985

In 1985, the Vatican approved this church building as the Cathedral of the new diocese—pending its full restoration. Major restoration began in March of 1987 and lasted to the end of October 1990. Saint Joseph’s was dedicated as the Cathedral of Saint Joseph on November, 4, 1990, with Bishop Pierre DuMaine presiding. Saint Joseph’s is listed in both state and federal registers as an historic landmark. The Franciscans administered the parish for 48 years, from 1803 to 1851; the Jesuits for 141 years, from 1851 to 1992. Diocesan priests currently administer the Cathedral parish.

1997

In 1997, Saint Joseph’s Cathedral received basilica status from the Vatican and is now called Cathedral Basilica of Saint Joseph. Basilica is a title of honor given to a church in recognition of its history, artistic beauty, and service to its community.

Let us remain close in the same prayer! May the Lord bless you abundantly!

Posted in North America and United States

Welcome to our T-SHIRT DESIGNS

Wear your faith with t-shirts that proclaim who you are. Choose from our variety of shirts and make an authentic fashion statement. Mark 16:15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." [foogallery id="22131"]