The Regensburg Cathedral of St. Peter is the spiritual heart of the diocese. It’s faith that has become a stone, which for centuries characterises the lives of men. It is the most visible center of the city of Regensburg and an outstanding testimony of the Gothic in Bavaria.
Regensburg Cathedral, built in the sixth century, still stands tall in Regensburg, Germany. The cathedral’s two spires were added in the 19th century, creating the city’s present skyline.
Though the cathedral contains remnants of Romanesque architecture and its 17th century renovations incorporated some Baroque elements, it remains predominately a Gothic structure. Traces which have lingered from the structures medieval period are a collection of stone sculptures and stained glass windows.
A bishop’s tomb was built in 1984 and is the cathedral’s most recently constructed feature. The immense task of cleaning the exterior was recently undertaken, and is now open to visitors every day.
The Regensburg Cathedral is above all a place of prayer. Here the Regensburg bishop and the chapter of the cathedral celebrate the worship together with the faithful. At the same time, the cathedral is the burial site of the Regensburg bishops. It is, however, also the space in which the Regensburg people have been performing their liturgical ministry for centuries in the musical organisation of worship services.
- Overall length (interior) – 85.40 m
- Width (interior) – 34.94 m
- Height (nave) – 31.85 m
- Height (bell towers) – 105 m
The Regensburg Organ
If you are looking for the organ, you should look up the north wall of the transept in the St. Peter’s Cathedral. Majestically, the organ hangs there over one of the important canopied altars.
Classic & modern
- In Regensburg’s Organ, tradition and innovation are reflected
- It is an instrument of the 21st century and thus a modern cathedral organ;
- Is based on the foundations of classical organ building;
- Plays the tonal qualities of the romantic organ;
The Dome organ is deliberately presented as a testimony of our time, but without being perceived as a foreign body in the Gothic cathedral.
Regensburg Cathedral treasure
The cathedral treasure – Domschatz museum – is located in the historical rooms of the former episcopal residence with Renaissance frescoes. The museum shows treasure chamber pieces of the Middle Ages and modern times. Regensburg is a prominent center of goldsmiths until the 18th century.
Why the most prestigious guild of the Middle Ages was so appreciated and why faith and craftsmanship were inextricably linked, can be experienced in the cathedral treasures of extraordinary exhibits. In addition to the high-quality goldsmiths – precious crucifixes, monstrances, cups and bishop stones – robes are to be seen in the finest gold embroidery.
Even today, the sacred devices and paraments exhibited stand out in their liturgical tradition and are used for special occasions during worship in St. Peter’s Cathedral.
Opening hours and prices for the treasure museum
- Monday to Saturday 11 am to 5 pm
- Sundays and public holidays 12 am to 5 pm
- (Closed: 24/25 December, 1 January)
- Children and adolescents, school classes free
- Adults 3,00 €
- Reduced 1.50 € Students, disabled people (Upon presentation of the relevant ID), Groups of 15 or more
Windows of Regensburg Cathedral
The colorful windows of Regensburg Cathedral tell many stories. They come from different times:
Most of the very valuable color windows were created between 1220/1230 and 1320/1370.
The windows in the Westfassade have only been added 150 years ago. From more recent times (1967/1968) are the colored glass windows in the left secondary choir. They are from Professor Josef Oberberger, who also created the Pentecost window in the western part of the northern crossship at the end of the domestication.
Also created by Professor Josef Oberberger were the new windows, which in the sense of the gothic only let light.
Many stone figures can be seen in Regensburg Cathedral. The Mary and the “Laughing Angel” are particularly striking in the western quartering arrows (by the Erminold master, around 1280).
On the eastern quarter, the stone figures of St. Peter (on the left) and Paul (on the right), about 1320 and 1360/1370 stand respectively. Also worthy of note are the two horse statues at the Westportal (Martin and Georg).
The five gothic ciborium altars, which have been preserved as a special feature in the Cathedral of Regensburg, are particularly noticeable. In front of the High choir, the view leads to the sumptuous silver high altar, which comes from Augsburger artists and has grown over the course of almost 100 years between 1695 and 1785.
The Regensburg Cathedral as the last resting place
Bronze monument to Prince Cardinal Philipp Wilhelm in Regensburg Cathedral. In the cathedral of Regensburg, important bishops have found their last stay:
- Johann Michael von Sailer (1829-1832), monument and grave in the southern secondary choir
- Georg Michael Wittmann (1832-1833), monument and grave in the northern side choir
- In addition, the grave of Archbishop Dr. Michael Buchberger (1927-1961)
- In the rear part of the nave is the great bronze monument to Prince Cardinal Philipp Wilhelm (died 1598), brother of Duke Maximilian I of Bavaria, who built this tomb in 1611 by Hans Krumper, Munich.
The Regensburg Cathedral had several predecessors. Its present form was the Gothic building in many construction sections:
- The Gothic cathedral was probably begun soon after 1260
- A provisional conclusion is to be drawn up with the year 1520
- Between 1859 and 1872, the expansion of the tower helmets and the transverse gables were carried out.
- The last major interior renovation took place from 1985-1988. Since then, the cathedral has once again displayed a friendly, gothic-like appearance.
- By I, Omnidom 999, CC BY-SA 2.5
- By Michael.chlistalla – Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0
Worship services on Sundays and holidays:
- 10 am Holy Mass
- 12 o’clock:
Holy Mass Services on weekdays:
- 7 am: Holy Mass
- Lunch meditation – 15 minutes of reflection and organ music April to October: 12 noon