The Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi in Santa Fe

Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi, 131 Cathedral Place, Santa Fe, Nova Mehika, Združene države Amerike

Website of the Sanctuary

505 982 5619

Every day: from 6:30 AM and 6:00 PM

 

History of Franciscan Friars in Santa Fe

In 1598, Franciscan Friars entered what is now New Mexico. These priests accompanied the Spanish colonists, who had migrated north from Mexico City.

The City of Santa Fe was founded in 1610. That same year the first church was built on this site. The original adobe church was replaced in 1630 by a larger one, which was destroyed by the Pueblo Indian Revolt of 1680. See the original Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi Italy.

The stained glass windows in the lower bay are from France and depict the twelve apostles. Seven archbishops, including Lamy, are buried in the sanctuary.

The expelled Spaniards returned in 1693, but were not able to rebuild the church until 1714. This new church was named in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi, the Patron Saint of Santa Fe. See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in North America

See top 15 Catholic shrines in the world

The only part of this church still existing is the small adobe chapel dedicated to Our Lady La Conquistadora. Brought from Spain in 1625, the statue is the oldest representation of the Virgin Mary in the United States. See also the National Shrine of St. Francis of Assisi.

In 1850, Santa Fe received its first Bishop, Father John Baptiste Lamy of France. Judging the 1714 old adobe church as inadequate for the seat of the Archdiocese, Bishop Lamy ordered a new Romanesque church built, and brought French architects and Italian stonemasons to build his Cathedral.

The Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi

Construction of the Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi began in 1869 and continued until 1887. The new Cathedral was built around the former adobe church and, when the new walls were complete, the old church was torn down and removed through the front door.

In 1987, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the dedication of the stone church, a monumental altar screen depicting famous saints of North and South America was installed.

The Cathedral Basilica of St Francis of Assisi was elevated to a Basilica by Pope Benedict XVI in 2005. Basilica means a church of particular importance in Rome and abroad. Churches are honored by the Holy Father because of their importance in the history of spreading Catholicism.

  • Sunday: 8:00 AM (Spanish), 10:00 AM, 12:00 PM, 5:15 PM
  • Saturday: 7:00 AM, and for Sunday Obligation: 5:15 PM
  • Weekdays: 7:00 AM & 5:15 PM
  • Holy Days: 7:00 AM, 12:10 PM, 5:15 PM

 

The Cofradia del Rosario is a confraternity which had been formed by the 1650’s in Spain and had adopted Our Lady as their patroness.  The earliest known document relating to a confraternity associated with La Conquistadora dates to 1685.

The current constitution of the confraternity states that the purpose of the organization shall be to “promote devotion to the Mother of God under the title of La Conquistadora – Our Lady of Peace, and for the upkeep and maintenance of both of her chapels at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi and the Rosario Chapel”.  In general, to keep records of the members of the Cofradia, keep an accounting of all dues and to pay all bills and expenses incurred in spreading and promoting the devotion of Our Lady. 

The officers have the responsibility to protect, preserve and care for the images of La Conquistadora and La Peregrina.  They are also charged with the safekeeping of Our Lady’s wardrobe, jewels and gifts and the changing of clothing for both of the statues.

The Cofradia consists of five officers, Mayordomo, Assistant Mayordomo, Sacristana, Secretary and Treasurer.  The Mayordomo and Assistant Mayordomo are responsible for transporting La Peregrina to all requested visitations.  The officers make all the necessary preparations for the annual La Conquistadora processions, novena Masses and special events as they are scheduled.  They work in keeping and preserving the traditions handed down to us by our ancestors.  With the continued support of the membership, the organization insures that future generations will be able to be a part of a living history.

Membership is open to any person who has a devotion to the mother of God under the historic and sacred title of Our Lady of the Rosary, La Conquistadora, and who particularly wants to participate actively in the unique devotion of Santa Fe.  Anyone may join by inscribing their name at the office of the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi or by writing to La Cofradia de La Conquistadora c/o Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis, P.O. Box 2127, Santa Fe, NM 87504-2127.  Applications for membership and additional historical information are available in Our Lady’s Chapel in the Cathedral.  The membership fee is $5.00 per year per person.  Additional offerings of devotion may be made at any time.  You may also wish to enroll your deceased loved ones.  Membership entitles cofrade to participate in all Cofradia intention Masses celebrated year-round on all the important Marian feast days throughout the year as well as the double set of novena Masses said annually.  Dues help to defray expenses of candles and flowers at the Capilla de La Conquistadora at Rosario and in the Capilla de La Conquistadora in the Cathedral Basilica year-round and are also used for upkeep and maintenance and restoration of the Rosario Chapel were the majority of the novena Masses are held.  Members are also included in the intentions of pilgrimage services and Mass at Our Lady’s altar.    

 

Construction of the Cathedral began in 1869 and continued until 1887. The new Cathedral was built around the former adobe church and, when the new walls were complete, the old church was torn down and removed through the front door.

The stained glass windows in the lower bay are from France and depict the twelve apostles. Seven archbishops, including Lamy, are buried in the sanctuary.

Dedicated in 1887, the Cathedral’s spires were never completed due to lack of funds. During the most recent structural renewal in 1967, the Cathedral was strengthened, new sacristies were added, and a Blessed Sacrament Chapel was built. In 1987, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the dedication of the stone church, a monumental altar screen depicting famous saints of North and South America was installed.

The Cathedral was elevated to a Basilica by Pope Benedict XVI in 2005. Basilica means a church of particular importance in Rome and abroad. Churches are honored by the Holy Father because of their importance in the history of spreading Catholicism.

In 1598, Franciscan Friars entered what is now New Mexico. These priests accompanied the Spanish colonists, who had migrated north from Mexico City.

The City of Santa Fe was founded in 1610. That same year the first church was built on this site. The original adobe church was replaced in 1630 by a larger one, which was destroyed by the Pueblo Indian Revolt of 1680.

The expelled Spaniards returned in 1693, but were not able to rebuild the church until 1714. This new church was named in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi, the Patron Saint of Santa Fe.

The only part of this church still existing is the small adobe chapel dedicated to Our Lady La Conquistadora. Brought from Spain in 1625, the statue is the oldest representation of the Virgin Mary in the United States.

In 1850, Santa Fe received its first Bishop, Father John Baptiste Lamy of France. Judging the 1714 old adobe church as inadequate for the seat of the Archdiocese, Bishop Lamy ordered a new Romanesque church built, and brought French architects and Italian stonemasons to build his Cathedral.

 

Posted in North America and United States