Saint Thomas Aquinas Cathedral

Saint Thomas Aquinas Cathedral, 310 W 2nd St, Reno, Nevada, Združene države Amerike

Website of the Sanctuary

+1 775 329 2571

Every day: from 6.30 am to 7.30 pm

The Saint Thomas Aquinas Cathedral is in itself a sermon on the Blessed Sacrament. The table of the Blessed Sacrament Altar is made of native Nevada aragonite, with hand carved angels.

Saint Thomas Aquinas Cathedral

On May 21, 1906, Catholic officials purchased the Sol Levy home at the corner of Second and Chestnut (now Arlington) streets in Reno for $10,000 to be the site of St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral. The cornerstone was laid in June 1906 and the cathedral was dedicated June 21, 1908.

A fire on Dec. 21, 1909, caused major damage, including collapse of the ceiling, but it was salvaged and reopened in 1910. A renovation conducted in the 1950s added a wraparound mural that surrounds the altar. See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in North America.

The Pieta in the Saint Thomas Aquinas Cathedral

Come to the Cathedral and see the beautiful Pieta by Michelangelo. It is a life size replica and we are truly blessed to have it in the Cathedral. See top 15 Catholic shrines in the world.

The Pieta, which depicts the Virgin Mary holding the body of her son Jesus Christ after his death, has been created in many different forms by various painters and sculptors. Of all the great paintings and sculptures on the Pieta, however, the one by Michelangelo stands out from all the rest.

Prior to sculpting the Pieta, Michelangelo was relatively unknown to the world as an artist. He was only in his early twenties when he was commissioned in 1498 to do a life-size sculpture of the Virgin Mary holding her son in her arms. It would be the first of four that he would create and the only one he completely finished. It was to be unveiled in St. Peter’s Basilica for the Jubilee of 1500.

Stained Glass – The window of the Holy Family

The window of the Holy Family is predominantly amber in color as rays of light flow from the hand of God the Father upon the scene of Nazareth. Our Lord as a young boy, is reading from the Old Testament, as our Blessed Mother, burdened with the cares of the Holy Family, points to the open pages.

St. Joseph remains in the background loaded with the lumber of his trade as he fondly oversees the activities of his family. To the side of the Holy Family are the student, the children, the nurse, the infirm, the widow and the mother. On the right are the neophyte, the athlete, the worker and the laborer with the hammer of his trade and Rosary in hand.

The Pieta

Come to the Cathedral and see the beautiful Pieta by Michelangelo. It is a life size replica and we are truly blessed to have it in the Cathedral.

The Pieta, which depicts the Virgin Mary holding the body of her son Jesus Christ after his death, has been created in many different forms by various painters and sculptors. Of all the great paintings and sculptures on the Pieta, however, the one by Michelangelo stands out from all the rest.

Prior to sculpting the Pieta, Michelangelo was relatively unknown to the world as an artist. He was only in his early twenties when he was commissioned in 1498 to do a life-size sculpture of the Virgin Mary holding her son in her arms. It would be the first of four that he would create and the only one he completely finished. It was to be unveiled in St. Peter’s Basilica for the Jubilee of 1500.

Stained Glass – The window of the Holy Family

The window of the Holy Family is predominantly amber in color as rays of light flow from the hand of God the Father upon the scene of Nazareth. Our Lord as a young boy, is reading from the Old Testament, as our Blessed Mother, burdened with the cares of the Holy Family, points to the open pages. St. Joseph remains in the background loaded with the lumber of his trade as he fondly oversees the activities of his family. To the side of the Holy Family are the student, the children, the nurse, the infirm, the widow and the mother. On the right are the neophyte, the athlete, the worker and the laborer with the hammer of his trade and Rosary in hand.

Stained Glass – Our Lady of the Snows

In the window depicting Our Lady of the Snows, the dominant color is a deep blue, illuminating the scene that portrays the entire Diocese. Rays of varying shades of amber light, flow from our Lady’s crown to the surrounding figures, representing clergy and laity of the Diocese. The promenent figure in the lower right is the Bishop of the Diocese holding aloft the Cathedral as he implores the Blessed Mother for the spiritual needs of his flock. Opposite the Bishop are the the miner, the rancher, the average laborer and the family. Behind the Diocesan scene are arrayed the hosts of guardian angles in an active mode of watching over the spiritual flock.

Saint Thomas Aquinas Cathedral

On May 21, 1906, Catholic officials purchased the Sol Levy home at the corner of Second and Chestnut (now Arlington) streets in Reno for $10,000 to be the site of St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral. The cornerstone was laid in June 1906 and the cathedral was dedicated June 21, 1908. A fire on Dec. 21, 1909, caused major damage, including collapse of the ceiling, but it was salvaged and reopened in 1910. A renovation conducted in the 1950s added a wraparound mural that surrounds the altar.

The Saint Thomas Aquinas Cathedral is in itself a sermon on the Blessed Sacrament. The table of the Blessed Sacrament Altar is made of native Nevada aragonite, with hand carved angels. The aragonite came from a mine between Gabbs and Tonopah, Nevada which belonged to John Connelly, brother of then Bishop Connelly. The candlesticks are the work of Dirk Van Erp.

The great mural painting, considered one of the finest works of art of its kind in America, was executed by Edith and Isabel Piczek. The theme is the Adoration of the Lamb of God, our Lord in the Blessed Eucharist.

The Saints of the Old Law, to the left, include Abel, Moses, the Manna, Ruth, Abraham and Isaac, Melchisedech, David, Nathan, Malachias, Anna the Prophetess and John the Baptist.

The Saints of the New Law, include the Holy Family at Bethlehem, the last Supper with our Lord, St. Peter and St. John, with St. Paul in background, St. Augustine, St, Clare of Assisi, St. Charles Borromeo, St. Paschal Baylon, and St. Piux X, urging a modern working family to frequent Communion.

The present stations of the Cross were created by Bill Lutz in 1993. The main entrance doors are covered with copper, mined in Nevada. They were designed and embossed by Gordon Newby.

Posted in North America and United States