Basilica of Regina Pacis in Brooklyn, New York

Regina Pacis Church, 1230 65th Street, Brooklyn, New York, Združene države Amerike

Website of the Sanctuary

+1 718 236 0909

Regina Pacis – Queen of Peace

The Basilica of Regina Pacis (Latin for Queen of Peace) is a Catholic parish church located in the Bensonhurst section of Brooklyn, New York, part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn.

The church was dedicated in 1951, built as a votive shrine, forming a part of the Parish of St. Rosalia-Regina Pacis. It is considered the “Mother Church of Italian immigrants” of the diocese. See also the St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York.

See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in North America

See top 15 Catholic shrines in the world

In May 1942, during the course of World War II, a vow was made by the entire congregation of St. Rosalia Parish to build a shrine dedicated to the Blessed Mother for the safe return of the men of the parish and country from the battlefields of the war and for a just and lasting peace.

Basilica of Regina Pacis in Brooklyn, New York

Ground was broken for the construction of the church on October 3, 1948, with the cornerstone being blessed on October 29 of the following year by Bishop Raymond Kearney, auxiliary bishop of the diocese.

The church was completed in 1950, built in the style of the Italianate Renaissance Revival architecture, and an image of Mary was enthroned over the main altar. It was built entirely in marble from various parts of Italy, with two pulpits, after the manner of Italian cathedrals.

The shrine was dedicated on August 15, 1951 by the Bishop of Brooklyn, Archbishop Thomas E. Molloy. The image was honored on May 24, 1952 by the addition of two diamond-studded crowns attached to it, which had been personally blessed by Pope Pius XII. This was done at a major ceremony presided over by Archbishop Molloy.

In 2011 the current Bishop of Brooklyn, Nicholas di Marzio, made a request of the Congregation for Divine Worship in Vatican City that the church be honored by designation as a basilica. In November 2012, while the New York City region was recovering from the effects of Hurricane Sandy, the bishop received notice that the Holy See had approved this request.

A Mass to mark this honor was celebrated at the church on December 8, 2012, presided over by the bishop.

Basilica of Regina Pacis in Brooklyn, New York

From the South and Staten Island – Verrazano Narrows Bridge follow signs for BQE 278 East. Take the 7th Avenue Exit toward 65th Street. Merge onto 7th Avenue then turn right onto 65th Street. After the 6th light the church is on the right.

From the George Washington Bridge – West Side Highway or FDR Drive South to Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. Than follow Manhattan directions.

From Long Island – LIE to the BQE 278 West. Follow signs for Staten Island, Exit at 6th Avenue. Turn left then take a quick right on to 65th. Proceed on 65th after the 7th traffic light the church is on the right.

From the Bronx and Westchester – Triboro Bridge to Manhattan. Than follow Manhattan directions.

From Manhattan – FDR South to Brooklyn Battery Tunnel take the BQE 278 West and follow signs for Staten Island. Exit at 6th Avenue. Turn, Left then take a quick right on 65th Street. Proceed on 65th after the 7th traffic light the church is on the right.

MONDAY through FRIDAY

  • MASS in English: 7:30AM and 8:30AM

SATURDAY

  • English MASS: 8:30AM (St. Joseph Chapel)
  • English VIGIL MASS: 5:00PM
  • Spanish VIGIL MASS: 7:30PM

SUNDAY

  • English MASS: 8:00AM
  • Spanish MASS: 9:15AM
  • Italian MASS: 9:00AM (St. Joseph Chapel)
  • Chinese MASS: 10:30AM (St. Joseph Chapel)
  • English MASS: 12:00PM
  • English MASS: 7:00PM

In 2011 the current Bishop of Brooklyn, Nicholas di Marzio, made a request of the Congregation for Divine Worship in Vatican City that the church be honored by designation as a basilica. In November 2012, while the New York City region was recovering from the effects of Hurricane Sandy, the bishop received notice that the Holy See had approved this request.

A Mass to mark this honor was celebrated at the church on December 8, 2012, presided over by the bishop.

In May 1942, during the course of World War II, a vow was made by the entire congregation of St. Rosalia Parish to build a shrine dedicated to the Blessed Mother for the safe return of the men of the parish and country from the battlefields of the war and for a just and lasting peace.

Ground was broken for the construction of the church on October 3, 1948, with the cornerstone being blessed on October 29 of the following year by Bishop Raymond Kearney, auxiliary bishop of the diocese. The church was completed in 1950, built in the style of the Italianate Renaissance Revival architecture, and an image of Mary was enthroned over the main altar. It was built entirely in marble from various parts of Italy, with two pulpits, after the manner of Italian cathedrals.

The shrine was dedicated on August 15, 1951 by the Bishop of Brooklyn, Archbishop Thomas E. Molloy. The image was honored on May 24, 1952 by the addition of two diamond-studded crowns attached to it, which had been personally blessed by Pope Pius XII. This was done at a major ceremony presided over by Archbishop Molloy.

Visited 229 times, 1 Visit today

Posted in North America and United States