Franciscan Renewal Center in Paradise Valley, Arizona

Casa de Paz y Bien, East Lincoln Drive, Paradise Valley, Arizona, Združene države Amerike

Website of the Sanctuary

+1 480 948 7460

Franciscan Renewal Center is an oasis for spiritual growth, healing and transformation, and service to others. Today, more than 133,000 visits are made to the Casa each year. More than 2,000 families are registered and nearly 150 children are in religious education.

Franciscan Renewal Center

Place to grow in relationship with the Creator and creation, where people can unpack emotional baggage and heal personal relationships… or where those filled with joyous energy can join forces to help the poor and neglected around us.

Franciscan Renewal Center in Paradise Valley, Arizona

See more Catholic Shrines and pilgrimages in North America.

See top 15 Catholic shrines around the world

More than 800 adults are active volunteers in their ministries or with partner charities.

Welcome to our T-SHIRT DESIGNS

Wear your faith with t-shirts that proclaim who you are. Choose from our variety of shirts and make an authentic fashion statement. Mark 16:15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation."

Approximately 5,500 hours of licensed behavioral health counseling is donated each year to those who have nowhere else to turn.

History

The Franciscan Renewal Center – or “Casa de Paz y Bien” – has existed since 1951 as a place for spiritual retreats, wellness, worship, healing and more.

It predates the affluent Town of Paradise Valley – with resorts, mansions, pools, paved roads, and all.

Franciscan Renewal Center in Paradise Valley, Arizona

That a dusty, former dude ranch would become a God-filled spiritual retreat center and that the Franciscan friars –grounded in vows of poverty – would become surrounded by some of the area’s wealthiest residents speaks to nothing less than the astounding “coincidence of opposites;” that which unifies rather than divides.

Timeline

  • Nov. 1, 1951 – The Kachina Lodge is purchased by the Franciscan friars and the 25-acre site officially becomes The Franciscan Retreat, the “Casa de Paz y Bien.”
  • Jan. 1, 1952 – The Casa opens with a retreat for Diocesan clergy, led by Fr. Owen DaSilva, OFM, as Superior.
  • Feb. 1, 1952 – The Casa begins its retreat ministry to the public. It holds its first retreat for men.
  • Feb. 8, 1952 – The Casa holds its first retreat for women.
  • Feb. 22-24 – What is believed to be the first retreat ever held worldwide for married couples takes place at the Casa.
  • Nov. 6, 1952 – Stations of the Cross by artist Fr. Luigi Sciocchetti are installed.
  • 1953 – Fr. Owen, Fr. Conrad Wear, and Very Reverend David Temple led a pilgrimage of 80 people from the Casa community to Guadalupe, Mexico.
  • April 24, 1954 – The Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine by artist Fr. Luigi Sciocchetti is installed. Art conservators today believe it may be the largest example of Della Robbia style ceramic in Arizona.
  • June 19, 1954 – Ground breaking for the new chapel, built to accommodate approximately 60 people
  • Dec. 13, 1954 – First Mass in the new chapel was celebrated. Eight mass were held simultaneously.
  • Feb. 1, 1955 – Groundbreaking for a “Community House” (the friary)
  • Dec. 11, 1955 – The new chapel is dedicated as Our Lady of Solitude with Bishop Gerke as presider and Bishop Green as celebrant at the first Mass held at Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine
  • 1956 – Building continues with a new retreatant’s wing, called Perricone Hall. A casita next door is purchased as named Alhambra Hall.
  • June 8, 1956 – Fr. Owen is transferred to a new assignment. Fr. Conrad Wear becomes his successor to lead the Casa as new Superior.
  • 1959 – Attendance increased to 2,300 retreatants and 1,700 church worshipers. Fr. Ivo O’Sullivan arrives on loan from the Irish Province.
  • 1960s – The universal church sees declining numbers yet elects the nation’s first Catholic president. The dynamism of this decade leads the Casa to shift its focus from solitude and piety to a new commitment toward educational programs and interaction.
  • 1961 – Fr. Conrad is reassigned. Fr. Ronan O’Sullivan becomes his successor as Superior, working alongside Fr. Ivo O’Sullivan and Fr. Albert Braun.
  • 1965 – Br. Mario Vasquez arrives and begins a vegetable and floral garden.
  • 1970 – The Casa officially becomes the “Franciscan Renewal Center, symbolizing a new focus and the growth of popular activities, such as counseling, scripture study, group discussions, and more. Fr. Michael Weishaar is Superior with Fr. Barry Brunsman and Mary Ann Finch as key leaders during this time. Liturgy becomes a primary concern as word spreads in greater Phoenix about this community. The North America Academy of Liturgy is formed I part through a donation by Virginia G. Piper. The first lecturer was Rev. Eugene Kennedy, followed later in the year by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.
  • Oct. 3, 1971 – The chapel is remodeled to accommodate 212 people and rededicated as the Paul V. Galvin Memorial Chapel, in memory of Virginia G. Piper’s first husband.
  • 1973 – Nationally syndicated columnist Erma Bombeck speaks about “The Sense of Humor Involved in Being a Christian.”
  • April 25, 1976 – The Casa holds its 25th Anniversary with Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine followed by a picnic. Fr. Forrest McDonald replaces Fr. Michael as Superior.
  • 1977 – Fr. Gavin Griffin organizes a 12-Step program at the Casa. The San Jose Building is dedicated (now known as the St. Barbara, St Anges, and St. Luca rooms).
  • 1978 – The Casa edges into social justice activities that extend beyond its walls with the help of Fr. Martin Gates, who ran a Franciscan mission in Guaymas, Mexico.
  • June 10, 1979 – The Br. Conan Memorial Chapel is erected and dedicated.
  • March 9, 1980 – the Guadalupe Building with conference rooms and offices is dedicated.
  • 1981 – the first swimming pool is replaced.
  • 1983 – Fr. Luis Baldonado becomes “Director” and creates a full-time position dedicated to social justice
  • 1986 – Fr. Ray Bucher succeeds Fr. Luis as Director.
  • 1988 – The Chapel is enlarged again to now hold 310 people
  • 1990 – 2000 – The Casa sees more lay leadership and corporate framework for an increasingly complex institution. Directorship is divided between Br. Joe Schwab and Charles Brown.
  • Dec. 12, 1998 – The new friary is completed. Friars in residence at this time are: Br. Joe Schwab, Br. Mario Vasquez, Fr. Peter Kirwin, Fr. Michah Muhlen, and Rusty Shauhgnessy.
  • Dec. 24, 1999 – the Jubilee Arch is completed as a new entrance into the Casa and a symbol of entering a new millennium.
  • Feb. 26, 2006 – The Casa’s chapel is rededicated as the Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels and embraces the responsibility of sacramental preparation and Family Catechesis as part of its programming. Bishop Thomas Olmsted presides over the dedication.
  • 2007 – The Casa recognizes a need to repair aging buildings and create more space for families.
  • 2010 – Capital Development Feasibility Study commissioned by Board of Directors to assess possibilities of a comprehensive campus renovation.
  • 2011 – The “RENEWING LIVES Campaign” is conceived to transform and reinvigorate the physical campus. The campaign is sparked by a $3.1 M pledge from the Diane & Bruce Halle of Discount Tire Co. A campaign feasibility study and recruitment of campaign leadership is conducted.
  • Nov. 1, 2011 – The Casa begins a year-long celebration of prayer and gratitude in honor of its 60th year.
  • July 2013 – The “RENEWING LIVES Campaign” officially begins. An early gift from the Perricone family of California allows the Casa to tackle the first Key Element of the Master Plan – renovation of 30 guest rooms and reconstruction of the pool plaza.
  • Aug. 31, 2013 – Family registration at the Casa surpasses 2,000 families.
  • Oct. 13, 2013 – The Casa celebrates the grand re-opening of its newly remodeled guest rooms and pool plaza, Perricone Plaza.
  • Nov. 2013 – The Casa begins restoration of its historic Stations of the Cross by Fr. Luigi Sciocchetti.
  • Mar. 2014 – The Heritage Edition of The Saint John’s Bible is welcomed as a new work of art permanently on display at the Casa.
  • Jan. 2016 – The Casa breaks ground on the new Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels

Let us remain close in the same prayer! May the Lord bless you abundantly!

Order of Friars Minor

The Franciscan Renewal Center is led by priests who are dedicated to serving the poor and promoting justice, peace, care of creation, and reconciliation in the joyful and prophetic spirit of St. Francis. They belong to the brotherhood of the Order of Friars Minor as part of the Province of Saint Barbara, which works cooperatively with The Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix.

The Order of Friars Minor was created in 1209 to serve as missionaries around the world with this simple instruction from St. Francis of Assisi: announce the Word of God and “be subject to every human creature for God’s sake.” They act first for others, not for themselves.

Let us remain close in the same prayer! May the Lord bless you abundantly!

History

The Franciscan Renewal Center – or “Casa de Paz y Bien” – has existed since 1951 as a place for spiritual retreats, wellness, worship, healing and more. It predates the affluent Town of Paradise Valley – with resorts, mansions, pools, paved roads, and all. That a dusty, former dude ranch would become a God-filled spiritual retreat center and that the Franciscan friars –grounded in vows of poverty – would become surrounded by some of the area’s wealthiest residents speaks to nothing less than the astounding “coincidence of opposites;” that which unifies rather than divides.

  • Nov. 1, 1951 – The Kachina Lodge is purchased by the Franciscan friars and the 25-acre site officially becomes The Franciscan Retreat, the “Casa de Paz y Bien.”
  • Jan. 1, 1952 – The Casa opens with a retreat for Diocesan clergy, led by Fr. Owen DaSilva, OFM, as Superior.
  • Feb. 1, 1952 – The Casa begins its retreat ministry to the public. It holds its first retreat for men.
  • Feb. 8, 1952 – The Casa holds its first retreat for women.
  • Feb. 22-24 – What is believed to be the first retreat ever held worldwide for married couples takes place at the Casa.
  • Nov. 6, 1952 – Stations of the Cross by artist Fr. Luigi Sciocchetti are installed.
  • 1953 – Fr. Owen, Fr. Conrad Wear, and Very Reverend David Temple led a pilgrimage of 80 people from the Casa community to Guadalupe, Mexico.
  • April 24, 1954 – The Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine by artist Fr. Luigi Sciocchetti is installed. Art conservators today believe it may be the largest example of Della Robbia style ceramic in Arizona.
  • June 19, 1954 – Ground breaking for the new chapel, built to accommodate approximately 60 people
  • Dec. 13, 1954 – First Mass in the new chapel was celebrated. Eight mass were held simultaneously.
  • Feb. 1, 1955 – Groundbreaking for a “Community House” (the friary)
  • Dec. 11, 1955 – The new chapel is dedicated as Our Lady of Solitude with Bishop Gerke as presider and Bishop Green as celebrant at the first Mass held at Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine
  • 1956 – Building continues with a new retreatant’s wing, called Perricone Hall. A casita next door is purchased as named Alhambra Hall.
  • June 8, 1956 – Fr. Owen is transferred to a new assignment. Fr. Conrad Wear becomes his successor to lead the Casa as new Superior.
  • 1959 – Attendance increased to 2,300 retreatants and 1,700 church worshipers. Fr. Ivo O’Sullivan arrives on loan from the Irish Province.
  • 1960s – The universal church sees declining numbers yet elects the nation’s first Catholic president. The dynamism of this decade leads the Casa to shift its focus from solitude and piety to a new commitment toward educational programs and interaction.
  • 1961 – Fr. Conrad is reassigned. Fr. Ronan O’Sullivan becomes his successor as Superior, working alongside Fr. Ivo O’Sullivan and Fr. Albert Braun.
  • 1965 – Br. Mario Vasquez arrives and begins a vegetable and floral garden.
  • 1970 – The Casa officially becomes the “Franciscan Renewal Center, symbolizing a new focus and the growth of popular activities, such as counseling, scripture study, group discussions, and more. Fr. Michael Weishaar is Superior with Fr. Barry Brunsman and Mary Ann Finch as key leaders during this time. Liturgy becomes a primary concern as word spreads in greater Phoenix about this community. The North America Academy of Liturgy is formed I part through a donation by Virginia G. Piper. The first lecturer was Rev. Eugene Kennedy, followed later in the year by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.
  • Oct. 3, 1971 – The chapel is remodeled to accommodate 212 people and rededicated as the Paul V. Galvin Memorial Chapel, in memory of Virginia G. Piper’s first husband.
  • 1973 – Nationally syndicated columnist Erma Bombeck speaks about “The Sense of Humor Involved in Being a Christian.”
  • April 25, 1976 – The Casa holds its 25th Anniversary with Mass at Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine followed by a picnic. Fr. Forrest McDonald replaces Fr. Michael as Superior.
  • 1977 – Fr. Gavin Griffin organizes a 12-Step program at the Casa. The San Jose Building is dedicated (now known as the St. Barbara, St Anges, and St. Luca rooms).
  • 1978 – The Casa edges into social justice activities that extend beyond its walls with the help of Fr. Martin Gates, who ran a Franciscan mission in Guaymas, Mexico.
  • June 10, 1979 – The Br. Conan Memorial Chapel is erected and dedicated.
  • March 9, 1980 – the Guadalupe Building with conference rooms and offices is dedicated.
  • 1981 – the first swimming pool is replaced.
  • 1983 – Fr. Luis Baldonado becomes “Director” and creates a full-time position dedicated to social justice
  • 1986 – Fr. Ray Bucher succeeds Fr. Luis as Director.
  • 1988 – The Chapel is enlarged again to now hold 310 people
  • 1990 – 2000 – The Casa sees more lay leadership and corporate framework for an increasingly complex institution. Directorship is divided between Br. Joe Schwab and Charles Brown.
  • Dec. 12, 1998 – The new friary is completed. Friars in residence at this time are: Br. Joe Schwab, Br. Mario Vasquez, Fr. Peter Kirwin, Fr. Michah Muhlen, and Rusty Shauhgnessy.
  • Dec. 24, 1999 – the Jubilee Arch is completed as a new entrance into the Casa and a symbol of entering a new millennium.
  • Feb. 26, 2006 – The Casa’s chapel is rededicated as the Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels and embraces the responsibility of sacramental preparation and Family Catechesis as part of its programming. Bishop Thomas Olmsted presides over the dedication.
  • 2007 – The Casa recognizes a need to repair aging buildings and create more space for families.
  • 2010 – Capital Development Feasibility Study commissioned by Board of Directors to assess possibilities of a comprehensive campus renovation.
  • 2011 – The “RENEWING LIVES Campaign” is conceived to transform and reinvigorate the physical campus. The campaign is sparked by a $3.1 M pledge from the Diane & Bruce Halle of Discount Tire Co. A campaign feasibility study and recruitment of campaign leadership is conducted.
  • Nov. 1, 2011 – The Casa begins a year-long celebration of prayer and gratitude in honor of its 60th year.
  • July 2013 – The “RENEWING LIVES Campaign” officially begins. An early gift from the Perricone family of California allows the Casa to tackle the first Key Element of the Master Plan – renovation of 30 guest rooms and reconstruction of the pool plaza.
  • Aug. 31, 2013 – Family registration at the Casa surpasses 2,000 families.
  • Oct. 13, 2013 – The Casa celebrates the grand re-opening of its newly remodeled guest rooms and pool plaza, Perricone Plaza.
  • Nov. 2013 – The Casa begins restoration of its historic Stations of the Cross by Fr. Luigi Sciocchetti.
  • Mar. 2014 – The Heritage Edition of The Saint John’s Bible is welcomed as a new work of art permanently on display at the Casa.
  • Jan. 2016 – The Casa breaks ground on the new Conventual Church of Our Lady of the Angels

Let us remain close in the same prayer! May the Lord bless you abundantly!

Posted in North America and United States

Welcome to our T-SHIRT DESIGNS

Wear your faith with t-shirts that proclaim who you are. Choose from our variety of shirts and make an authentic fashion statement. Mark 16:15 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation."