Jasna Gora Monastery and the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, Poland

Jasna Góra, Čenstohova, Poljska

Website of the Sanctuary

+48 /34/ 365 38 88

Every day: from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm (winter 4.30 pm)

Coming to Czestochowa and having the best stay:

Hotels:

Jasna Gora Monastery and the Image of Black Madonna of Czestochowa

Home to the sacred icon of ‘Our Lady of Częstochowa’, the Monastery of Jasna Góra is the third-largest Catholic pilgrimage site in the world and the centre of Polish Catholicism. Offering scenic views over the monastery complex, the 106-metre bell tower is the tallest historic church tower in Poland.

The Image of Our Lady Black Madonna of Czestochowa, also known as the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa, having dimnsion of 121,8 x 81,3 cm,. depicts Blessed Virgin Mary holding the Child Jesus on Her left hand. The image represents monumental and dignified iconographic structure of a Bizantine Hodigitria, the one who points the way to salvation. She is a Guide, leading the entire humanity to Jesus Christ.

According to the legendary tradition included in the narratives, the image was supposed to be taken form Ruthenia by Polish Prince Ladislaus of Opole.  After he funded the Jasna Góra Monastery in 1382, he entrusted the Icon to the care of the sixteen Pauline monks, who arrived from Hungary.

See more Cathedrals and Shrines from Poland

Set Top 15 Catholic Shrines around the world.

The Image of Our Lady of Jasna Gora

The Image of Our Lady of Jasna Gora, also known as the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa, having dimnsion of 121,8 x 81,3 cm,. depicts Blessed Virgin Mary holding the Child Jesus on Her left hand. The image represents monumental and dignified iconographic structure of a Bizantine Hodigitria, the one who points the way to salvation. She is a Guide, leading the entire humanity to Jesus Christ.

According to the legendary tradition included in the narratives, the imag was supposed to be taken form Ruthenia by Polish Prince Ladislaus of Opole.  After he funded the Jasna Gora Monastery in 1382, he entrusted the Icon to the care of the sixteen Pauline monks, who arrived from Hungary.

The Image was creadted most likley in the second half of the XIII century as the Balkan Icon. It was painted with tempera on a canvas, which was attached to the surface of the three lime tree boards, with nimbi carved in them around the heads of the figures.

In the years 1430-1434 the icon was the subject of an extensive renovation in Krakow in the court of the King ladislaus Jagiello.

Jasna Gora Monastery and the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, Poland

It took place after the robbery and assault on Jasna Gora, which eas most likely committed by the Hussit Iconoclasts from Bohemia. At that time, the fill in one of the painting has been completed as well as some formal transformations, which gave the image characteristics of gothic art.

The Image of Our Lady of Czestochowa in the present form is a unique example of a harmonious combination of Bizantine art of the East with the Latin culture of the West.

Four diagonal slashes crossing each other which are visible on the right cheek of the Blessed Mother, are real cuts made by a sharp tool. They are gradually deepening in the layers of the paint, going as far as injuring the background.

Two longer slashes, on the face and on the neck, wer pointed out by being painted with vermilion as blood scars in order to commemorate a sacrilege done in the year of the 1430.

The heroic defense of Jasna Gora in 1655 during Swedish invasion became a very important vent in history of Poland. In the spirit of thanksgiving for saving the painting, the, the monastery and the entire country.

King John Casimir made his vows in 1656 in Lvov, in which he appointed the Mother of Jasna Gora the Queen of the polish Crown. From that day Jasna Gora became a throne of vivtorious Queen and a place where everyone could confide to Her all their individual, familiy and national issues.

Pope John Paull II entrusted to Her his entire Papal mission with his famous motto: Totus Tuus – Totally yours, Mary!”

The Image of Black Madonna of Czestochowa was created most likely in the second half of the XIII century as the Balkan Icon. It was painted with tempera on a canvas, which was attached to the surface of the three lime tree boards, with nimbi carved in them around the heads of the figures.

In the years 1430-1434 the icon was the subject of an extensive renovation in Krakow in the court of the King Ladislaus Jagiello.

The visitors at jasna Gora Monastery can see:

  • The Chapel of the Miraculous Painting of Black Madonna of Częstochowa
  • The Basilica of Jasna Góra
  • The Knights’ Hall
  • The Treasury
  • The 600th Year Anniversary Museum of Jasna Góra
  • The St. Roch Bastion
  • The Arsenal
  • The Tower of Jasna Góra

Jasna Gora Monastery and the Black Madonna of Czestochowa, Poland

The Treasury of Jasna Gora monastery

The Treasury of Jasna Gora – the oldest part of the museum of Jasna Góra.

In the Treasury one can enjoy the richness and beauty of the most precious votive offerings – gifts to Our Lady of Czestochowa during the past centuries.

The exhibits have been displayed in showcases, glass and exhibition cabinets and on the walls.

They are:

  • silverware, jewelry, weave articles and armourers
  • liturgy items such as vessels, vestments, candlesticks
  • jewelry made of ivory, pearl, turquoise, different precious stones
  • votive offerings of popes, cardinals and believers from different countries of the world
  • votive offerings of Polish kings, nobles and heroes of national independence struggles

The Museum of the 600th Year Anniversary of Jasna Gora

The Museum of the 600th Year Anniversary of Jasna Gora, opened in 1982, has presented cultural and artistic activities of the Pauline monks, guardians of this place. The permanent exhibition consists of, among others.:

  1. the paintings placed on the walls are the so-called hermit’s part (painted in Jasna Góra painting studio in the 17th century)
  2. Mensa Mariana” the safety board at the back of the Miraculous Painting of Our Lady of Czestochowa with the scenes of its story
  3. the four dresses given to the Queen of Poland at Jasna Góra on several jubilee occasions
  4. collection of coffin portraits, crest and epitaph of metal sheets
  5. votive offerings of gold and silver from the 17th – 20th century
  6.  the large painting showing the transfer of St. Paul the First Hermit relics from Venice to Buda – the capital of Hungary
  7. set of historic musical instruments used by members of the musical band of Jasna Gora founded here in the second half of the 16th century.

View hotel deals in Jasna Góra:



Booking.com

Jasna Góra Monastery in Czestochowa, where the Black Madonna of Czestochowa is housed permanently. It receives about 4-5 million pilgrims a year.

Jasna Góra Information Centre offers tours of Our Lady of Czestochowa with a guide in following languages: Polish, English, German, Italian, Spanish, French, Russian, Hungarian, Ukrainian and Slovakian daily from 08:30 am to 5:00 pm.
All museums opening hours:

  • from March 1 – October 31 from 9:00 am – 5: 00 pm
  • from November 1 – February 29 from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm

Jasna Góra Information Centre and the museums are closed on the New Year; Easter; Corpus Christi Day; All Saints’ and All Souls’ Day and Christmas (December 24 – 26)

Please be informed that with too many pilgrims and on major holidays, the guided tours can be difficult or limited.

The visitors can see:

  • The Chapel of the Miraculous Painting of Our Lady of Czestochowa
  • The Basilica of Jasna Góra
  • The Knights’ Hall
  • The Treasury
  • The 600th Year Anniversary Museum of Jasna Góra
  • The St. Roch Bastion
  • The Arsenal
  • The Tower of Jasna Góra

The standard guided tour includes the Knights’ Hall, the Chapel of Miraculous Painting of Our Lady of Czestochowa and the Basilica of Jasna Góra, the 600th Year Anniversary of Jasna Góra Museum and the Treasury.

Meeting with the guide and reporting of group arrival takes place at Jasna Gora Information Center. Due to the sacred character of the places the pilgrims should be in suitable clothes and behave appropriately in Jasna Gora.

The Museum of the 600th Year Anniversary of Jasna Gora

The Museum of the 600th Year Anniversary of Jasna Gora, opened in 1982, has presented cultural and artistic activities of the Pauline monks, guardians of this place.
The permanent exhibition consists of, among others.:

  1. the paintings placed on the walls are the so-called hermit’s part (painted in Jasna Góra painting studio in the 17th century)
  2. Mensa Mariana” the safety board at the back of the Miraculous Painting of Our Lady of Czestochowa with the scenes of its story
  3. the four dresses given to the Queen of Poland at Jasna Góra on several jubilee occasions
  4. collection of coffin portraits, crest and epitaph of metal sheets
  5. votive offerings of gold and silver from the 17th – 20th century
  6.  the large painting showing the transfer of St. Paul the First Hermit relics from Venice to Buda – the capital of Hungary
  7. set of historic musical instruments used by members of the musical band of Jasna Gora founded here in the second half of the 16th century.

The Treasury of Jasna Góra

The Treasury of Jasna Góra – the oldest part of the museum of Jasna Góra. In the Treasury one can enjoy the richness and beauty of the most precious votive offerings – gifts to Our Lady of Czestochowa during the past centuries, The exhibits have been displayed in showcases, glass and exhibition cabinets and on the walls.
They are:

  • silverware, jewelry, weave articles and armourers
  • liturgy items such as vessels, vestments, candlesticks
  • jewelry made of ivory, pearl, turquoise, different precious stones
  • votive offerings of popes, cardinals and believers from different countries of the world
  • votive offerings of Polish kings, nobles and heroes of national independence struggles

The St. Roch Bastion

There is an exhibition titled “Mother of God. Poland’s Splendor of Both Nations ” opened on March 5, 2006.The exhibition is located inside of the St. Roch Bastion (entrance of Father Augustyn Kordecki’s Hall). The Bastion was a part of Jasna Góra fortress, built in the years 1624-1639 and rebuild after 1674.

During the restoration work the original walls were uncovered revealing the siege of Jasna Gora, in times of “The Swedish invasion” in 1655.

The exhibition presented here consists of several parts:

1. The Insight of the Bastion you can visit:
nearly 500 exhibits, mostly from the 18th century:
historical memorabilia
art craft items

2. The Outside the bastion you can visit:

exhibition showing the history of the Independent Self-Governing Trade Union “Solidarity”
remembrances showing the Polish soldiers fighting during the World War II
remembrances of the Smolensk victims.

The Arsenal

In the former Jasna Góra Arsenal fortress (opened in 1680), there has been an exhibition since September 14, 2010, marking the Day of the Holy Cross Raising. The title of the exhibition is: “Arsenal’’ in European art. Painting – Sculpture – Votive offerings. The known and unknown art monuments of the Jasna Góra monastery from 15th – 20th centuries ”

The exhibition combines two axis of religious theme:

  • Crucifixion axis cutting across the exhibition
  • Marian axis along the largest part of the Arsenal.

The founder and guardian of the exhibition, Father Jan Golonka said at the time of its opening:
The exhibition is an extension of the votive offering treasury of the Virgin Mary. For many years I had an idea to do something different. I knew many items in the collection of Jasna Góra which were not shown, known but also unknown.

They were very important in the field of sculpture, painting, goldsmiths. There are many very valuable works. All these precious items were in offices, guest rooms in our Monastery and I was tempted to collect them and show everything in a selected place in a special, historical climate.

 

The Image of Our Lady of Jasna Gora

The Image of Our Lady of Jasna Gora, also known as the Icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa, having dimnsion of 121,8 x 81,3 cm,. depicts Blessed Virgin Mary holding the Child Jesus on Her left hand. The image represents monumental and dignified iconographic structure of a Bizantine Hodigitria, the one who points the way to salvation. She is a Guide, leading the entire humanity to Jesus Christ.

According to the legendary tradition included in the narratives, the imag was supposed to be taken form Ruthenia by Polish Prince Ladislaus of Opole.  After he funded the Jasna Gora Monastery in 1382, he entrusted the Icon to the care of the sixteen Pauline monks, who arrived from Hungary.

The Image was creadted most likley in the second half of the XIII century as th Balkan Icon. It was painted with tempera on a canvas, which was attached to the surface of the three lime tree boards, with nimbi carved in them around the heads of the figures. In the years 1430-1434 the icon was the subject of an extensive renovation in Krakow in the court of the King ladislaus Jagiello.

It took place after the robbery and assault on Jasna Gora, which eas most likely committed by the Hussit Iconoclasts from Bohemia. At that time, the fill in one of the painting has been completed as well as some formal transformations, which gave the image characteristics of gothic art. The Image of Our Lady of Czestochowa in the present form is a unique example of a harmonious combination of Bizantine art of the East with the Latin culture of the West.

Four diagonal slashes crossing each other which are visible on the right cheek of the Blessed Mother, are real cuts made by a sharp tool. They are gradually deepening in the layers of the paint, going as far as injuring the background. Two longer slashes, on the face and on the neck, wer pointed out by being painted with vermilion as blood scars in order to commemorate a sacrilege done in the year of the 1430.

The heroic defense of Jasna Gora in 1655 during Swedish invasion became a very important vent in history of Poland. In the spirit of thanksgiving for saving the painting, the, the monastery and the entire country, King John Casimir made his vows in 1656 in Lvov, in which he appointed the Mother of Jasna Gora the Queen of the polish Crown. From that day Jasna Gora became a throne of vivtorious Queen and a place where everyone could confide to Her all their individual, familiy and national issues.
Pope John Paull II entrusted to Her his entire Papal mission with his famous motto: Totus Tuus – Totally yours, Mary!”

Masses
6.00 Unveiling of the Miraculous Image of the Our Lady of Czestochowa

Holy Masses in Our Lady’s Chapel: Monday-friday:
6; 00, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00 (Latin), 9:30, 11:00, 15:30, 18:30

Saturday:
6; 00, 7:00, 7:30, 8:15 (Latin), 9:30, 11:00, 12:00, 15.30, 18:30

Sundays and Feasts:
6; 00, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00 (Latin), 9:30, 11:00, 12:00, 14.00, 15.30, 17.00, 18:30. 20.15

Holy Masses in the Basilica
Monday-saturday
5.30, 6; 00, 6:30, 7.00, 7:30, 8:00, 9:00, 11:00, 15:30, 18:30

Sundays and Feasts:

  • 5.30, 6.30, 8:00, 10:00, 11:00, 13.00, 17.00, 19.00

Sundays and Feasts:

  • 12.00 Veiling of the Miraculous Image of the Our Lady of Czestochowa (Saturdays, Sundays, Feasts at 13.00)
  • 13.30 Unveiling of the Miraculous Image of the Our Lady of Czestochowa(weekdays)

Weekdays:

  • 6.00 Unveiling of the Miraculous Image of the Our Lady of Czestochowa
  • 14.00 Unveiling of the Miraculous Image of the Our Lady of Czestochowa (Saturdays, Sundays, feasts)

Hotel

 

Reviews

Stars

Guests love it because of:

Apartament 63 Exceptional 9.8 /10 Score from 128 reviews Apartament
  • One of the bestsellers in Częstochowa!
  • The property is half a kilometer from Sanctuary of Black Madonna and free private parking is featured.
  • There is a sitting area, a dining area and a kitchen.
  • There is a private bathroom with a shower.
  • This property is also rated for the best value in Częstochowa!
Browar CzenstochoviA Hotel&Spa Excellent 8.8 /10 Score from 661 reviews 3 stars
  • Top Location: Highly rated by recent guests (8.3)
  • Public Transportation Nearby
    Częstochowa Stradom station is within 800 m
  • Landmarks in the Area: Galeria Jurajska Shopping Centre, Częstochowa-Rudniki Airfield and Olsztyn Castle.
Hotel Scout Excellent 8.7 /10 Score from 485 reviews 3 stars
  • 2.5 km close to the Jasna Góra abbey.
  • All air-conditioned rooms classically furnished and decorated with warm colours.
  • Each comes with work space, a seating area and private bathroom with a shower and a hairdryer.
  • The hotel features the Squash Club with 6 squash courts, a climbing wall, tennis courts and a free sauna and gym.
  • There is also a games room for children.
Ibis Częstochowa Very good 8 /10 Score from 695 reviews 2 stars
  • Parking Free
  • WiFi Free
  • Pet Friendly
  • Non-smoking Rooms
  • WiFi Available in All Areas
Hotel Constancja Very good 8.3 /10 Score from 288 reviews 3 stars
  • 100 m from the John Paul II Museum.
  • A buffet breakfast is served at the hotel’s restaurant
  • Free Parking
  • Free WiFi
  • Non-smoking Rooms
Hotel Sekwana Excellent 8.7 /10 Score from 118 reviews 1 star
  • Located in the centre of Częstochowa, just 400 m from the Jasna Góra Monastery
  • Free Parking
  • Free WiFi
  • Pet Friendly
  • Family Rooms
  • Non-smoking Rooms
Hotel Grand Good 7.8 /10 Score from 412 reviews 3 stars
  • Situated near the famous Jasna Góra Monastery, in the historic city of Częstochowa
  • All 67 guest rooms are spaciously-laid out and feature modern furnishings.
  • Free Parking
  • Free WiFi
  • Pet Friendly
  • Non-smoking Rooms
  • Restaurant
Mercure Czestochowa Centrum Good 7.9 /10 Score from 461 reviews 3 stars
  • The rooms come with a minibar, a work desk and a private bathroom with a bathtub and a hairdryer.
  • You can visit the famous Jasna Góra Monastery and Częstochowa Town Hall, both about 500 m away.
  • Has 2 restaurants serving traditional Polish and international dishes.
  • The aperitif bar offers a wide range of drinks and is open until 22.00.
 
Złote Arkady Very good 8.5 /10 Score from 214 reviews Unrated
  • Great Food: Meals here are highly recommended!
  • Each room comes with a 32’’ LCD TV and a private bathroom with a hairdryer. They feature either a balcony or a view of the garden.
  • On-site restaurant, which specialises in Polish and European cuisine, and where breakfast buffet is served in the mornings.
  • The Jasna Góra Monastery is 2 km away.
  • Free Parking
  • Free WiFi
  • Pet Friendly
  • Non-smoking Rooms
Hotel Wenecki Excellent 8.6 /10 Score from 1,506 reviews  Unrated
  • “beautiful building”- 34 related reviews
  • “very clean” – 33 related reviews
  • “wonderful staff” – 31 related reviews
  • Free WiFi
  • Free Private Parking Available On Site

Posted in Europe, Poland and Top Shrines

Add a Review

Rate this by clicking a star below:

Related Listings

Our Lady and Basilica de Zapopan

Basilica of Our Lady of Zapopan

+52 3 6330141

Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Zapopan, Zapopan, Mehika

Every day: from 9:00 to 20:00

Basilica of Our Lady of Zapopan It is an architectural jewel, one of the oldest and richest buildings in Jalisco. The builders of this Church were Franciscan friars, who built it honoring the” Virgin of the Immaculate Conception” or the “Virgin of the expectation” currently known as the “Virgin of Zapopan”. It is one of the main religious centers in the country, its construction dating back to the XVIIth century.Continue Reading

Basilica of Francis in Assisi Italy

Assisi Basilica and the Tomb, Life and Biography of Saint Francis of Assisi, Italy

+39 075 819001

Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi, Piazza Inferiore di San Francesco, Assisi, Perugia, Italija

Daily: Lower church and the tomb 6.00 am - 7.00 pm

Coming to Assisi and having the best stay: The great complex of the Assisi Basilica of Francis in Italy and the Sacred Convent Located in the west of the hill on which stands the town of Assisi, it has gradually structured in the XIII-XV. Presents the visitor who comes from the plain with its architecture both simple and majestic.Continue Reading

Wawel Cathedral

Wawel Cathedral Krakow – Mass times

+48 12 429 33 27

Wawel Cathedral, Krakov, Poljska

Every day from 9.00 to 17.00

The Royal Cathedral – Royal coronations at Wawel Cathedral Krakow Wawel Cathedral holds a special place in the history of the Polish State due to the fact that it was the church of Polish kings for four hundred years. Beginning from Władysław the Short, all but two Polish kings – Stanisław Leszczyński and Stanisław August Poniatowski – had their coronations at Wawel Cathedral.Continue Reading

Swieta Lipka

Marian Sanctuary Swieta Lipka

+48 0 89 755 14 81

Sanktuarium Maryjne Święta Lipka, Święta Lipka, Poljska

Our Dear Lady of Swieta Lipka Lipka (Heiligelinde) is a small village surrounded by forests and lakes in Mazury region, northern Poland. It is known for Poland’s oldest Marian sanctuary which has been attracting pilgrims since the Middle Ages. The church is also a historic monument of outstanding value listed as one of the most magnificent examples of Baroque architecture in Poland.Continue Reading

dolours thrissur

Basilica of Our Lady of Dolours, Thrissur

+91 2420906

Our Lady of Dolours Basilica Church, Thrissur, Kerala, Indija

Every day from 7.00 am to 8.00 pm

Special Features of Our Lady of Dolours Thrissur Basilica Biggest and tallest church in Asia Shrine Basilica of Our Lady of Dolours Thrissur has got an area of 25000 sq. ft with three towers, two in front and one in rear. The front towers are having a height of 146 feet and the rear tower is having a height of 260 feet.Continue Reading

Regensburg Cathedral

Regensburg Cathedral – The Cathedral of St. Peter in Bavaria

+49 941 597-01

Regensburg Cathedral, Domplatz, Regensburg, Nemčija

The St. Peter's Cathedral is open: April, May & October: 6:30 am - 6:00 pm. June - September: 6:30 am - 7:00 pm. November - March: 6:30 am - 5:00 pm.

The Regensburg Cathedral of St. Peter is the spiritual heart of the diocese. It’s faith that has become a stone, which for centuries characterises the lives of men. It is the most visible center of the city of Regensburg and an outstanding testimony of the Gothic in Bavaria. Regensburg Cathedral, built in the sixth century, still stands tall in Regensburg, Germany.Continue Reading